Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Long Fiber Sphagnum Moss

Posted by TheMasterGardener1 none (My Page) on
Thu, May 5, 11 at 22:46

Hi I am wondering if anyone has experiance with long fiber sphag. I have always used fine peat and fine perlite in my soiless mix. But that mix holds too much water so I want to use this coarse peat. I just planted on of my jalapeno starts in some long fiber sphag. I did not bother premixing or soaking but i did mix in a bit of lime then watered. I have no experience using this I only used fine peat. Did I mix that right? Should I add perlite? I like how fast this drains and it does not cost much at all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Long Fiber Sphagnum Moss

Long fiber sphagnum moss and sphagnum peat moss aren't interchangeable. And the quality of sphagnum moss products I have found varies considerably. I like the more expensive long fiber sphagnum moss from New Zealand, which didn't have little sticks and a lot of dust in it. I have used it to sprout seeds that take a long time to germinate, like clivia. I have also used damp sphagnum moss to stimulate new roots in clivias that have lost most of their roots to rot and to grow roots on plumeria cuttings. I've used it successfully in air layering ficus plants. I also mix a little with fir bark for phaelanopsis orchids.

I don't believe it has any nutrients, so I wouldn't use it to grow an annual, like peppers. I doubt it would work well as a component of a potting mix for them either because the best mixes need to have components of equal size to retain water and drain well. If you haven't read Tapla's threads on container mixes and water retention, I highly recommend it.

In addition, I think it's important to saturate the sphagnum moss before you use it. It can be quite water repellant. I use boiling water to saturate it before using. Then allow it to cool and squeeze out excess water before proceeding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here