Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emmapnw

Growing veggies with only eastern facing exposure

EmmaPNW
12 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm completely new to container gardening, to gardening in the Pacific Northwest, and relatively new to gardening in general -- the last time I grew something from a seed was many, many years ago when I was a child living in Hawaii. However this year I decided to take the plunge and start my own vegetable garden, largely because my current apartment has a nice, big back area, but also because I'm tired of buying herbs in the supermarket and only using few of them before they go bad. Right now I have 7 tomato starts, 12 strawberry starts, 2 zucchini starts, rosemary, basil, oregano, peppermint, catnip, thyme, garlic, and peas. I'm afraid I went a bit overboard with the plant buying. That being said, I'm relatively certain I have everything adequately spaced/in appropriate sized containers (with the possible exception of the strawberries). I (mostly) planted everything in Black Gold potting soil and have added no additional soil/fertilizer/additives to what I have.

Whew. Ok. With that out of the way here's my question/problem: I went about things a bit backwards since I started researching my plants' needs AFTER I planted everything! So now, after all the purchasing and hauling of bags of potting soil, I'm suddenly faced with the realization that my plants may not be getting enough full sunlight since my garden is basically limited to eastern exposure. I'm not sure of how long my plants are getting full-on sunlight but I'm pretty sure it's not anywhere close to 8+ hours since I suspect many of my plants are in full shade by 2pm and aren't fully exposed to sun until probably 8am.

Is this going to be enough sun to get at least a few fruits/veg off of my starts or should I just accept the fact that I've inadvertently doomed my plants to a Goth-like existence, scrap the lot of them, plant something shade tolerant, and suck it up and buy my fruits/veg/herbs at the grocery store/farmers markets? Is there something I can do to increase their sun exposure -- possibly hanging mirrors/reflective foil on my privacy fence (which gets the most sun) and tilting them down?

Sage advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (4)