Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Tomato Containers? And other stuff...

Posted by cakefarm 7B (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 12 at 23:09

I have never grown dwarfs and now I have three (sleeping lady, red robin and summertime green). I read online that they can be grown in 2 gallon containers but that seems terribly small. What size container should I grow them in?

Also, I have a Mexico midget that I'm debating on growing in a container - can anyone recommend a size? I am a bit of a novice when it comes to containers though I've been doing it (in addition to in-ground gardening) for a few years. I have my soil (Al's) and my fertilizer (Osmocote slow release) down but other than that, I am clueless. How often do I fertilize?

I have some peppers too, hot and sweet - can I grow them in 2 gallon pots? What size would you recommend? And eggplants?

I am a student and have a lot of time so constant watering is not an issue.

Here are all my questions for ease of answering (and THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU in advance!):

1. What size containers should I grow dwarf tomatoes in?
2. What size container would you recommend for full-size indeterminate tomatoes?
3. What size containers would you recommend for sweet (bell) peppers?
4. What size containers would you recommend for hot peppers?
5. What size containers would you recommend for eggplants (Casper, black beauty)?
6. After the initial application of slow release fertilizer (Osmocote), how often should I fertilize and how?

Thank you so much, again. I looked through the FAQs but didn't find anything on dwarfs and then figured I'd just assault you with all my questions at once.

THANK YOU!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Tomato Containers? And other stuff...

That is helpful - thank you Missouri.

o

I generally agree about pot size, although I would put it a different way: minimum 5 gallon pot for dwarf tomatoes; 5-10 gallons for peppers; 15-20 gallons for eggplants; and 15-25 gallons for indeterminate tomatoes.

But I don't think the article at that link is helpful for container plants. It refers to soil in the ground. You'd be better off following Al's advice in the link below. I plant my fruiting vegetables in 5-1-1 mix with osmocote in the mix and start fertilizing 2-4 weeks later or when they are starting to produce with Foliage Pro or Miracle Gro 24-8-16 every two weeks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fertilizing containerized plants

o

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you Ohio! (Again.) I think better in gallons, too. :)

And thank you so much for the fertilizer link - I knew I'd seen Al post it somewhere.

It is a scorcher today... I'm thinking that I am making a good decision with the containers this year. Al's mix is light enough that I can easily move my plants into some shade on days like this!

Thank you again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here