Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to repot a good size fruit tree?

Posted by charleslou23 09 (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 12 at 23:25

I got a couple of tropical fruit trees currently in a 15 gallon pot that i want to repot to 20 or 25 gallon container. These trees are about 5, 6 feet tall so I'd imagine the root are pretty deep or all over in the current pot. What's the safest way to get them outta their current pot without damaging their root and even without destroying the current container?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to repot a good size fruit tree?

If they are in a 15 gallon plastic nursery pot it should be pretty easy. I usually lay the pot on its side and roll it to loosen the root ball in the pot, then just slide it out while still laying on its side. With a clay or ceramic container, this won't work, and depending on container shape, it could be a real struggle. Al

o

is now a good time to repot or wait until winter when the tree dormant?

o

The tree is a tropical fruit tree and as such probably does not have a true dormant cycle. I would do it now as long as I had a place to keep it in the shade for the next month while it recovers from the stress of being transplanted. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here