Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The 2011 EarthTainer 'Farm' Brandywine from Croatia, MarNar (pics

Posted by rnewste 8b NorCal (rnewstead@aol.com) on
Tue, May 24, 11 at 23:32

The Season in Silicon Valley has been off to a cool start. Lots of rain and below normal temperatures in March, April, and May. 10 days of gloomy weather have now cleared - but temps only in the low 70s all this week.

Spent much of the Spring retrofitting 24 EarthTainer IIs to the new EarthTainer III removable cage system. Also replaced the Miracle-Gro Potting Mix, with Sunshine Mix #4 as the "base" for the 3:2:1 Combo Mix in all of them.

After 3 years of trying, I'm happy for the first time, to be able to germinate and grow out Cuostralee:

Photobucket

Black & Brown Boar and Pink Boar in the foreground are my tallest plants at the moment:

Photobucket

In fact, the Pink Boar is already blushing:

Photobucket

And about a dozen fruitset as of now:

Photobucket

My pair of Brandywine from Croatia are extremely lush:

Photobucket

On the right is a PL plant that was also labeled as Brandywine from Croatia, but it was probably mis-labeled. Will be interesting to see how its fruit develops. On the left is Damon's Brandywine cross with Japanese Black Trifele.

Photobucket

Another "new to me" variety are a pair of Soren's MarNar (F1) on the right, growing next to a pair of N.A.R.X on the left. I'm very interested in a taste comparison between the two varieties derived from Neves Azorean Red crosses.

Photobucket

This Season, I am planting just 4 Pepper plants per 'Tainer as 6 was just too crowded last year. I am hoping the extra legroom will allow the 4 plants to develop even larger fruit this year.

Photobucket

Cukes were late to be planted this year, as my time was spent with all of the retrofitting. Sweet Success on the left and Diva on the right:

Photobucket

And to round it out, I've got 8 CornTainers planted with Northern Xtra-sweet corn:

Photobucket

So, a lot of hard work to get ready for the 2011 Season, and if I can keep the pests at bay this year, I should be able to finally join my Yellow Rubber Ducks in the Hot Tub shortly.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Raybo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The 2011 EarthTainer 'Farm' Brandywine from Croatia, MarNar (

The person who developed Earth Tainer needs you as a reference. (Unless you ARE him, which I kind of suspect)

Seeing is believing, I must build many of these!

o

Lots of work and great results, Raybo! You definitely deserve some time in the hot tub!

I am envious; so far the spring here has been so cold and wet here that I haven't planted out any vegetables; I'll stop by your place to stock up later in the summer. :-D

Holly

o

sam,

"He" be "Me".

Holly,

You are welcome to visit the EarthTainer "Farm" anytime - - just bring your work-gloves with you (or I can supply a pair)......

Raybo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here