Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reading the dowel--perched water table

Posted by marc5 z5OH (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 23:36

I am new to 5-1-1 and "reading" the dowel to determine when to water. I have hundreds of trees newly potted in 1-gallon containers, so I am obviously very concerned about getting this right. When using the dowel method (I'm using a bamboo skewer), the bottom half or third of the container is damp, but the upper area is dry. The surface of the 5-1-1 looks very dry. Is this evidence of a perched water table? I thought that 5-1-1 was supposed to prevent that. Since my newly-potted trees have roots extending to only a shallow depth, I will interpret this as a time to water. However, could someone explain how the dowel and the perched water table are related?

Thanks,
Marc

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reading the dowel--perched water table

If the mix drains well enough there will be very little perched water. If there is a little perched water and the rest of the medium is dry, I would probably have to water. If you made the 511 correctly there is probably no perched water, or very little anyway. If you have shallow roots that's probably why the top is drying out faster. That's the beauty of the 511.......almost no chance of overwatering. When in doubt water.

o

i find i sometimes have to water more often than i would think based on the wetness of the dowel. i noticed that a newer plant was starting to wilt a little, which was a good clue. It is a newer plant in a big pot so i think the roots aren't yet at the bottom layer that is more damp. The top tends to dry out quick when they are out in the sun.

o

The 5-1-1 is designed to hold some moisture - so, yes, there will be some perched water. With recent transplants, you do need to water more often while the roots re-establish themselves. As the mix ages, it will dry more uniformly from top to bottom.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here