Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Many Edamame Plants Per Container?

Posted by urbngrdnr 10b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 12 at 0:13

This is my first time planting Edamame in a container. I plan to use a black 6-3/4"H x 8-3/4"W plastic pot with drainage holes. I have them in seed starting trays & will move them once ready to transplant.

Anyone know how many seeds I'll be able to fit comfortably in a pot with those dimensions? And will I need some sort of trellis or stake?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Many Edamame Plants Per Container?

Edaname? Isn't that an Asian dish made with immature soybeans? If we're on the same page, then I'm having trouble imagining how you plan to grow soybeans in such a small pot. It has a taproot plus lots of other roots. It grows down to 4-8 feet deep and out to 15 inches or more. That's going to be one sad little soybean plant in such a small container.

I have to be missing something here. I never heard of someone trying to grow soybeans in containers. I'm not saying it's impossible. (I read I wasn't supposed to be able to grow pumpkins in containers either, but only after growing them. lol) But, either there is another meaning for edamame then what I know, or you'll need to learn more about growing soybeans before committing your seedlings into that container.

o
RE: How Many Edamame Plants Per Container?

My mistake, the pot I plan to use is 10-1/4"H x 12"W.

The only other info I've found of anyone else growing edamame in containers is this person:

http://kitewrite.wordpress.com/2009/04/21/growing-soybeans-edamame-in-containers/

in which she states "an 8″ pot can easily hold 6 plants" although there aren't any visuals to help me picture it.

there is also this youtube link by growing wisdom but they plant theirs outdoors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heVDK4nygZE

these soybeans have a shallow root system. so I'm not sure how small of a pot I can get away with since I'm also trying to keep my patio container garden efficiently spaced yet compact.

there's too much conflicting information and I thought it'd be nice to hear from someone who's had experience with growing them in containers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here