Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cocoa shells...

Posted by fireduck 10a (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 0:18

I bought a bag of cocoa shells a couple of weeks ago. I thought it might be good to add to my soil-less container mixes. Has anybody tried this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cocoa shells...

rather an expensive use of cocoa shells! i have used them as mulch for many years, and have added spoiled forgotten bags of them to my compost. since they do break down nicely over time, i suppose adding them to container mix might work fine. i have not done that directly, tho, so someone else may have advice for you!

o

I tried this once in one of my large containers > 10 cu. ft. I usually let mix settle for a day before planting seeds or seedlings. When I went out to plant the next day the container felt hot. It got hotter the further down I stuck my hand. Ended up dumping the entire mix and redoing it. I think I made a post here about it many years ago. I'm usually a sucker for sales and bags of cocoa shells were at get rid of prices so I experimented. I don't think anything would have grown in that container with cocoa shell mix.

o

I am keeping it in the bag....for now. It seemed like it might be a great thing for containers...but having my doubts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here