Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
legacy_gw

Ironite, Ironate, or Green Sand

legacy
16 years ago

I have been searching and looking at health risk assessments on lead and arsenic containments in Ironite. The controversy was known since 1998 and even after several tests and analyses since then from varous consultants and independent organizations, there is still no federal advisory or regulations in the U.S. (only state mandates and lawsuits). I just bought some Ironite at my local home garden centers before I knew any of this. Canada and some U.S. states voluntarily banned the sales of Ironite, but different ironite formulas seem to have varying amount of heavy metals in soils than in controls. Knowing that water, produce, and the cooked foods we consume can have impurities, carcinogens, and toxins both from natural-occuring sources and during the cooking process, I prefer to weigh the risks based on reason and science. Does anyone have evidence or know the expert consensus that these heavy metals from Ironite are bioavailable and pose a real environmental and health threat in human? I can't really do repeat applications of Ironite without knowing the facts now. In fact, I'm thinking I may have to repot all my plants, especially my container edibles.

What effective and halthy alternatives do you know of or use to add iron and micronutrients to your container edibles? How do you evaluate or rate either Ironate (not Ironite) or Green Sand use in containers?

Comments (9)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

These types of subjects seem to come up often. I would recommend that if you do not feel comfortable with a product, then don't use it. IMHO, there are a number of good research sites out there and a number of schlock pseudo-scientific sites out there and one has to be mindful that both sides of the debate have an agenda.

I don't recall ever seeing Ironite (or similar iron-promoting products) recommended for edibles outside of the ericaceous edibles like blueberries, etc. Ie., these products have generally been targeted towards ornamentals, and particularly acid-lovers including the ornamental ericaceous shrubs (rhododendrons, azaleas, pieris, camellias, gardenias, etc). Chemically, iron is less available within the generic pH ranges that many cultivated veggies grow in and those vegetables are adapted differently anyway, without the need for the same types and levels of micronutrients like iron, as the ericas.

For my blueberries, I have been using Hollytone to keep the soil acidic and get the iron in that they need for the foliage. Greensand is supposedly a good source of potassium and iron. The conglomerate of elements that is targeted in greensand ("glauconite") is a naturally-occuring (from old sea beds) substance that is mined. Back in the day (and probably still in the current), many used to or still do use wood ashes for potassium (potash), although in that form, it can drive the alkalinity of the soil up. Iron was (and often still is) added by sticking iron nails around the plants! Greensand is an ingredient in some Epsoma products that coupled with something like ammonium sulfate, will lower the surrounding pH enough to help make the iron ions available when aqueous. The very reactive potassium doesn't need much (mainly water will do) to make it available.

Basically, one would need to research the needs of the plant. Which is why I often tell people who post here who are serious, to go to the forums focusing on the plants that they want to grow and learn about them there (and on outside websites), and then come back and create the container environment that will hopefully be best for that plant.

• legacy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Jenny. Don't worry. I'm a learned skeptic (by necessity) and an intuitive second and very willing and interested in hearing all sides and generally need proof to move one way or another. I generally try to get information and opinions from different sources and perspectives with their agendas in mind. With respect to Ironite, I've looked at rulings and recommendations from EPA, a few state rulings, and any state agriculture and university plant and soil tests. It can be time-consuming. Therefore, I thought someone may already have done what I'm doing.

I bought the amendment mostly for repotting and for the health of my gardenias, roses and other ornamentals, but I also used it also on my crops because Ironite is marketed for shrubs, trees, and garden as well, and there are pictures of tomatoes and lemons on the bag, so there can be no misunderstanding there.

I had no idea that there is no federal regulations or oversight on fertilizers (or some legal loophole) in that fertilizers (including fertilized potting mixes - not just Ironite but many national brands) can be made and sold from recycled toxic waste and be sold as unregistered fertilizer products. Here is a stop order list of fertilizer products I uncovered from Washington State Department of Agriculture dated 10/10/03 (NOT all for heavy metals), http://agr.wa.gov/Pestfert/Publications/docs/FertilizerProductsIssuedStopSaleOrders.pdf

The two Ironite formulas I purchased are not on this old stop list and seem not to have too much contaimination according to one soil and plant test, but I may return them just to be safe and if there are existing comparable alternatives. I certainly don't want to pollute or ingest pollution and would not want to pay for or know how to dispose of toxic waste. What is worse about Ironite is that the even with the uncertainty of the bioavailability of theses heavy metals aside (although some believe and/or have proven that they are in time), the EPA and state agricultural agencies knew about the source of recycled heavy metals in Ironite and that it should be a non-exempt registered recycled mined fertilizer with the EPA, and over twenty public health and environmental advocates have written letters to Target, Lowes, and Home Depot in 2002 (5 years ago) asking them not to carry Ironite. PA and MN (and some other states) were able to reach a settlement and ban Ironite for sale from their state until the company can provide supporting evidence and proof that their products are safe as claimed when use as directed. I'm willing to wait for the proof before writing it off, but shouldn't there be some kind of label while we wait for any conclusive evidence in the meantime? And does it really take 10 years for corroborating plant/soil tests to be done to reach a public health decision? Without product label warnings, how are consumers suppose to be informed to sort out the science and the political maze? [excuse the frustrations]

Where can one buy Hollytone? I also bought a bag of Plant-Tone from Espoma while on my shopping trip (couldn't decide I guess). Other than missing a few minors, it's an organic complete fertilizer with micros. Heard of it? Any thoughts?

I should have followed through with my original idea of using soluble hydroponic fertilizers because I'm already growing soiless anyway. Anyone sees a problem with using hydroponic nutrients in soiless containers? Thanks for any tip or feedback.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    16 years ago

I've never bought the product that you mention in the bag. I've mainly seen and bought (still have some) the bottled liquid Ironite (7-6-6) which is labeled as "Plant and Flower Food". Scanning around, the product that you indicated that was banned in PA is the formuation "1-0-0" which I expect may be the granular that you must have purchased. I didn't see anything that referenced the liquid.

With respect to Hollytone - I have seen it at nurseries and hardware stores and even at Home Depot. Within the past 10 - 20 years, I noticed that Epsoma has come out with a bunch of formulations, I suppose to satisfy a growing demand from gardeners. The big thing that I appreciated about them is that the company has never overhyped themselves as "all natural" in terms of appearing to get in on "the latest fad" (which I expect many fertilizer manufacturers probably consider the push for "all natural" as being). I know my father bought Hollytone way back in the '50s when it first came out and I grew up with it. I expect because the company is located here in PA, that made it easier to find here and apparently the company decided to go national with their products.

I actually bought a bag of Plant-Tone (Epsoma also makes Hollytone) this year for the first time and am trying it on my tomatoes. I planted the 'maters with 1 tbsp sprinkled in the planting hole in each of my 'mater containers and 1 tbsp sprinkled around the soil surface after planting (if I remember correctly, it recommended 2 tbsp per plant). I also planted my seedling Giant Marconi Hybrid pepper plant with some in a container. I don't know if it's the summer-like heat or the sun, but my previously "starving" (LOL - and sitting in a 20 oz solo cups with seed starting mix) tomatoes now have rich dark green new growth that IMHO was significantly noticable - as if I had added Epsom salts to them (which I often do for my plants but hadn't done for the 'maters yet). The pepper looks the same but seems to still be getting settled in. Last year I used Neptune's Harvest 2-4-1 fish fertilizer and got okay results but we'll see how well the Plant-Tone works. Maybe next year I'll try Tomato-Tone (I would have tried that this year had I found it when I was shopping for ferts).

• legacy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

In light of the lower USEPA standards than those set by the Canadian standards for fertilizers in addition to some demonstrated inefficiencies and deficiencies in state and federal regulations in testing and regulating fertilizers as in the case with Ironite for the last decade and after comparing the fertilizers test results for several common brands of fertilizers in the organic, chemical, and the hydroponic categories, I'm returning all Miracle Grow and organic fertilizers I purchased, including Ironite Plus 6-2-1 Liquid and 12-10-10 Granules (some heavy metal contents in these formulations are even higher after 10 years of debate and definitely higher than competitors).

I will use select chemical fertilizers, but I will not buy organic fertilizers. I will make my own seaweed emulsion and purchase and use mostly hydroponic nutrients in my container gardening.

Sources:

"The Soil Profile," Rutgers Cooperative Research Extension Vol 6. 2006, http://njaes.rutgers.edu/pubs/soilprofile/sp-v16.pdf
    [Read the entire article and print out Table.1 Canadian Standards for fertilizers]

Look up your fertilizers' test results at http://agr.wa.gov/PestFert/Fertilizers/default.htm and then compare them with the Canadian standards.

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

I am not sure what direction I will take at this point but want to thank you for your providing the raw data to take into consideration any future applications of materials on these lists that may warrant further investigation. I have used greensand for several years and have felt ok about its use thus far and it is a regular part of my fert components in containers as well as in plantings in the ground. I haven't used any ironite product since I switched to greensand maybe 8 years ago. I have known for years about the inert component to fertilizers in general so I can't say I am completely suprised by the data. The wheels of regulations turn exceeding slow as does justice so many times. I use a great deal of garden-ville products such as their seaweed and rocket fuel and rock phosphates. I have no idea at this point where the source material comes from but will email garden-ville to see if I can get any plausible data to take under consideration. I try to find local sources for many of my materials and this is one area I can't answer to my satisfaction.
    We would all be better off to become as informed as we can and to share data such as you have for all our benefit to make any present or future buying choices.
    Thanks for sharing and I would add that the organic forum may also like to be able to see this data as it covers several organic materials for them to think about and will help them to understand that organic for organic sake is not always a better and/or safer choice.
    Happy Growing David

• legacy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dear David, I appreciate you letting me know what I researched and shared is of value to you.

Utilizing recycled industrial waste products is good stewardship if the efficacy and safety of such recycling process and final product can be substantiated and that such standards are being monitored and regulated periodically. There just seems no reason to financially support for the use of a product or take on take such risk environmentally or personally when we do not know that the benefits exceed the costs with some certainty, especially when better alternatives exist.

I also found out the iron chelate used in Ironite (EDTA) is the least lasting of the three chelates available.

Moreover, my Gardenia and Roses may not need Ironite after all. Since my Gardenias, roses, and flowers suffer more from Manganese deficiency than iron deficiency, I have repotted them with added Sulfur and composts to lower the soil pH and added Epsom Salts and hopefully these amendments will sufficiently free up just the right balance of the needed micronutrients over time.

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

I also am much into recylcing as many various (waste) as is possbile and is practical and reasonably safe. When I question things I tend to err on the safe side. There are lots of junk on the web but there is more real data available to make better choices than at anytime in my Ag. career. I love helping people grow things well and with a smaller footprint on the planet. Some I seem to reach others just seem totally oblivious and all I can say is I am trying to help when and where I can as imperfect as my 20 years offer me. I still feel like I know so little as opposed to what there is to know.
    I can't say I can think of a good manganese supplement off the top of my head but a varied compost and alfalfa pellets may also help. Most of the time from my experience Gardenias are prone to iron defiency here is the Hill Country. I have seen some good results from using greensand for these in the ground. I still use it in pots but feel it is less effective because of the lack of the soil web in release the nutrients and the time it takes. I don't count on it totally for micros but use rocket fuel (garden-ville product) alfalfa pellets, and seaweed (also garden-ville) to round out these needs in my containered plants and plants in my landscape. Drop a line into the forum and update us about your longer term results on your roses and gardenias.
    Happy Growing David

• texasgardener_2010
    13 years ago

I used it Ironite for two summer for my lawn and the third summer my 6-year-old large mixed-breed dog was diagnosed with cancer and subsequently died. This stuff has arsenic that exceeds safety limits. Don't use. It should not be on the market.

Here is a link that might be useful: one of many evaluations on Ironite showing hazards

• Treebeard
    10 years ago

Well, it's been a few years since this discussion, but I thought I'd revisit it and see if y'all know if Ironite is still dodgy or if they've cleaned their act up at all.

The reason I ask is because I'm using a seedling starting recipe (for soil blockers) that includes greensand in the mix, but as far as I know none is available around where I live. I'm sure sure I can order it, but I'd prefer something local. Any other alternatives?