Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much dolomitic lime estimation

Posted by naikii 9a / 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 0:33

Hi guys, im interested in an estimation of the amount of lime needed to add to my mix. For other batches I have added 3-4 handfuls. am worried its too much.

I am using approx. 60L pine bark fines, 50L coconut husk chips, 30L organic compost, maybe 10L of Peat and about 20L of perlite per batch. No particular reason for these numbers, I just like the look and consistency of the resulting mixture.

I tried straight 5-1-1 last season with only marginal success, attributed perhaps to pine bark fines being too small.

Tomorrow I intend to fill two half wine barrels with the above mixture (approximately) for semi dwarf cherries, and don’t wanna mess up by adding too much or too little lime.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much dolomitic lime estimation

If I remember correctly it was blueberries that you had the most trouble with. Since they need special treatment and much lower pH than most plants, I don't see how we can answer your question without knowing what you intend to plant. It's also hard to determine the pH of your mix without knowing the pH of the compost. FWIW, I figure you have about 170L of mix which is about equal to 45 gallons US. If it was standard 5-1-1 and not being used for blueberries, I would tell you to add about 2/3L of dolomitic lime.

o

1 tablespoon of lime per gallon of mix is the measure for making the standard 511 mix. For my blueberries I used no lime and they are growing like weeds.

o

I apologize Naikii. I missed your statement that you are wanting to grow dwarf cherry trees. From the little Googling I did, it appears that they prefer a pH of 6-6.5, like most plants. So you probably need about 45 Tablespoons, or 2/3 of a liter for those components.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here