Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
couple questions using buckets/bins for peppers

Posted by mike2044 OH (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 1:02

I have a few of these and just wanted to know if it would be best to bore holes in the bottom of them for drainage before filling them up and putting my peppers in them and if I should line them with anything or if the bare plastic is fine.

Other question is I have these big 18 gallon bins and wanted to know if it would be safe to put two plants in it. I'm growing bhut jolokias and habaneros (two of each) so you can know about what size those might be.

Tried searching around for answers and the best I've found is that I'd want about 17" depth or so for them, which is clearly covered here. I did find people growing them in buckets and that sort of thing and that's a whole lot cheaper than pots when you've got them laying around already.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: couple questions using buckets/bins for peppers

Yes, you definitely want to drill drainage holes in the bottom.

Josh

o

I'm not familiar with those exact peppers, but I'd still guess 2 would be fine in an 18 gallon container, and possibly 3. Maybe someone can confirm this.

o

Oh, yeah, two plants would grow fine in a container that size. By the end of the season, they will be hanging all over each other ;-)

Josh

o

Thanks for the quick information on that. I actually just got done drilling holes in the containers and I think I might look at getting my soil in there with the plants tomorrow. I just wasn't sure if both would be fine in a big container like that or if I should just use one per because the jolokias might be too big and it'd be great to be able to have them all set up like that to be a bit mobile when necessary. This'll be my third attempt at this and I think I've finally got it figured out now lol.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here