Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cottagegardenlover

Rockwool in Pots and Planters

cottagegardenlover
10 years ago

The more I research the more I'm sold that rockwool would probably be best for my situation.

I have an extensive outdoor container garden with roses, boxwood topiaries, clematis and other perrenials, plus I want to grow camellia's and lemon trees indoors. I have a disability where I can only do a little work at a time and not very strenuous. I have caregivers help me.

I just haven't been able to talk to anyone who uses rockwool in your average container garden. All the online posts are from marijuana sites for use in a hydroponic system. I realize it's hydroponics, but I'm wondering if anyone else out there has used it for outdoor plants and houseplants?

I'm also wondering if it would work well, at least indoors with wick watering from below in the saucer?

Plus, they talk about measuring the Ph of your tap water, and I'm wondering if this is necessary after the initial prep work to bring the Ph down before planting. I've seen Al post that Ph is not important because it will be naturally volatile.

Has anyone rootpruned their plants grown in rockwool? I imagine that it shouldn't be any more difficult than rootpruning my boxwood trees, and we cut off the outer 2 inches of the rootball in a circular motion. Then putting it back in the container with new or reused clean rockwool around it.

I think it will be the best option for me because it is so lightweight that my helpers and I can manage it plus it won't involve a lot of mixing large quantities of rocks etc. It holds moisture for a long time so I won't have to water as frequently, but still allows for air.

Can anyone tell me if I would get a perched water table (PWT) when using only rockwool in a container?

I plan to add some Physan 20 to control algae when I fertigate with Foliage Pro and Protekt. Plus I will mulch with a layer of decorative pea gravel on top to keep the light out.

Does anyone have any suggestions or personal experiences with this medium to share with me?

Thanks!
Lucy

Comments (8)