Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newgen_gw

Found a source for bark fines in Orange County, CA.

newgen
12 years ago

I've had a real hard time finding the appropriate source. The Repti Bark at Petsmart and Petco will work, but way too expensive, I have quite a few plants I want to pot up in the gritty mix. The store is called Orange County Farm Supply in Orange, CA. I've been buying different ingredients from them for my plumeria soil mixes, and just noticed that they have this:

{{gwi:34157}}

{{gwi:34158}}

This bag costs $10.49.

So for the gritty mix ingredients, Turface/NAPA and bark fines are readily available. It's the grit/cherrystone that has eluded me. I'm gonna substitute Pumice for that.

Comments (10)

• TheMasterGardener1
    12 years ago

Wow nice find! I alost used mulch because I just cant find it at an affordable rate. It looks good and no dust or huge stuff.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone...

Newgen,

Looks like a really great product...OCFS has wonderful products!!

I just wish that i could find what they offer here on the East Coast...they are really nice people there...

Good luck with you Plumies...all of mine are doing great..have several inflos, three on my Divine and two on my ET Lemon Drop, one on my Lavender and several on my NOIDS...Pu"u Kahea has a few as well...its a good start to the season...

MY trees love the gritty mix...please let us know how they do..love to see pics!!! Ill post some pics of my blooms soon. They should be opening next week or sooner..we had temps in the high ninties yesterday....way to hot for the average...!!! i have had to change some things with my pots in the direct western sun...put some white liners around the black pots to deflect the sun...the temps are scorching hot on my top deck...Plumies like the heat..but not this hot!!! LOL...now they look like they have white skirts on...oh well..it works!!!

Take care everyone,

Laura in VB

• bgtimber75
    12 years ago

Ugh, that looks perfect. Wish I could find that here. Looks like twice as much as the largest back of Reptibark and about a forth cheaper.

• Lnorigb
    10 years ago

FINALLY!! in OC! I just got off the phone. they have 60 bags, please leave some for me, I can't get up there till this afternoon. =)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Great find!
    Be sure to remove as much of the sapwood as you can, particularly for the Gritty Mix.

Josh

• prestons_garden
    10 years ago

I have used that bark numerous times but have switched due to it's inconsistency. I noticed the bark has gotten smaller over the years and most bags have way too many fines. It also breaks down too fast. I spoke to kelloggs about this and a lot has to do with how long it sits in a large pile before it's bagged and reaches the store.

Ron

• Lnorigb
    10 years ago

switched to what? here in OC?

• fireduck
    10 years ago

N...I do notice there is quite a bit of sapwood in that bag. I recently discovered a product which is great! Greenall- Micro Bark. It is only sold at a few Ventura County nurseries close to me...but you can find it. 2 CuFt for around 10-12 dollars.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Greenall Micro Bark is also what I use. This is the same product as E.B. Stone's fine-grade "Orchid Bark," just packaged differently; but you get twice the volume for only a dollar more - I pay $9 for the 2-CuFt bag. It is quite consistent, although it still requires screening.

Josh

• prestons_garden
    10 years ago

Lnorigb,

I use the Green All too which is larger than the seedling bark. Go to Green Thumb International in Lake Forest, it's $8.99. I would like to see OCFS carry the Green All bark as well, so I will mention it on my next visit.

If you want a cleaner more consistent size and just a little larger bark, go to OCFS and get the Rexius small fir bark. It's more expensive, around $16.00 for 2 cu-ft, but it's by far the cleanest bark I've ever used. Just be sure you wear gloves with this bark or you will have a lot of splinters.

Ron