Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it too late to sow seeds in a container garden in Zone 6b?

Posted by valentinetbear z6 PA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 12 at 2:18

Two or three weeks ago, I sowed teddy bear sunflowers and nasturtium together in an elongated container. I know the sunflowers don't bloom until August, but I see no signs of either plants growing. Am I expecting seedlings too soon? Is it too late to sow more seeds? If it is, any ideas what to buy that don't flower until mid-August through the beginning of September? Obviously, I was going for yellow flowers, but red trumpet flowers (trying to attract hummingbirds) or purple flowers (the overall color in my garden) are good, too. It's also an annual container, so I'd rather not have perennials in it.

At this point, I can only go to Lowes or Home Depot. There's a flowerless spot in my future flower schedule now for my garden. lol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it too late to sow seeds in a container garden in Zone 6b?

Okay, so I'm a zone "7", but I doubt our temperatures are too off.

I planted black-eyed susan seeds & wild flax seeds on May 25th and already have lots of seedlings in their two pots. They are little, but they're definitely growing. The pots receive full sun outside.

I'm not an expert gardener, but I say---Don't give up! I don't think it's too late.

o
RE: Is it too late to sow seeds in a container garden in Zone 6b?

GO FOR IT!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here