Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
found that darn 3/8" sieve

Posted by terratoma 7a (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 3:20

There have been some past posts about the difficulty in finding a 3/8" sieve to use when screening pine bark for the gritty mix. Following the advice from a post, I located one. Since I had been screening the bark using 1/4" and 1/8" screens, I was curious to find how much additional 'usable' bark I would get using the new sieve.
I had been getting about 11 quarts of 1/4"-1/8" bark from a 1 1/2 cubic foot (44 quarts) bag of Jolly Gardener. Of the remainder, 19 quarts were too small and went through the 1/8" screen, while 14 quarts exceeded the 1/4" maximum. Needless to say, I was really pleased to find that 8 of those 14 quarts went through the 3/8" sieve, increasing the 'usable' amount to 19 quarts. Not bad for a $3.00 bag of soil conditioner. Will happily share the vendor's name and particulars regarding the sieve with anyone interested.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: found that darn 3/8" sieve

Sounds great Terratoma, shoot me the info

Thanks
SpaceMan

o

Enjoy your new darn 3/8 sieve :-) and good luck.

Caelian

o

I would like the info too!

May screens are 1/4 inch and insect. Works great. But still interested in your info. Thank you!!

Laura

o

Hi! I've also been searching for a good 3/8 soil sieve to accomplish the bark sifting to make Al's gritty mix and am also using soil conditioner. I would love the ordering info so I can buy myself one. (I live in Boulder, loves gardening but am an amateur and am trying to grow a rubber plant, some philodendrons and some succulents).

So impressed with Al Tapla, he is so amazing. I feel like I've gained so much from his garden forum posts. I wonder how to say thank you properly. Do people send him gifts? The man is so incredibly open and generous with his wisdom. What benevolent guy!

Anna

o

Is there some reason you can't just post a link, or the name of the manufacturer/supplier?

o

"bump" - still wondering if you could post the information about where you got the screening ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here