Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good Azalea soil?

Posted by fredman (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 5:33

Am i right in thinking a 5.1.1 without adding lime because Azalea like acid soil?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good Azalea soil?

sounds like a good idea, new to flowers but have a go and see what happens :)

BZ

o

Even with lime the 511 should be ok. Without lime it's around 4, and the lime doesn't bring it up to any more than 5.5 if I remember correctly. The azaleas (including ours) are growing like weeds around here in the native soil and there's no way the pH is very low. Without the lime the pH might even be too low, but I'm no azalea expert by any means.

o

My problem is i dont know of a way to reliably check the soil pH. I got myself 25 Satsuki Azaleas that i want to grow for bonsai in a few years time. They like their soil between 5.0 and 6.5. but i dont really know what the pH will be with a 5.1.1 with and without lime.
My plan is to use a mixture of bark, pumice and spagnum moss (schredded)

o

maybe just try 1 plant in each mix and see what one does best ? then go from there ?

BZ

o

There are soil pH kits available at most plant nurseries. Can you use those? Call nearby plant nurseries to find out if they have them or stop by. They are not terribly accurate though. The soil sample will get mixed with a pill and water to turn a color that means it it is neutral, acid or alkaline. Soil pH kits that give results in numbers are more expensive but available by mail order.

o

fredman, in the post just above yours I listed the pH's of the mix with and without lime. Not sure what else you are looking for. The pH will be low regardless. Anyway the pH of the 511 mix isn't as important as the pH of what you are watering with because using a mix like the 511 is basically manual hydroponics anyway!!

o

It is basically manual hydroponics I agreed with Edweather.

Caelian

o

Yeah you are right edweather. I'm not sure what i'm looking for :-).I guess i'm more sharing my thoughts than asking a question. I dont really trust pH meters. To many variables in a container.
Thanks to everyone. What ever the pH i will just plant them and keep a eagle eye on their progress....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here