Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small brown spots on cherry tomato and eggplant

Posted by doomahx & (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 6:16

Hi,

I had a similar issue last year with my tomato plant and was never able to find the cause. I thought perhaps it was some sort of disease that came from the nursery last year but this year i grew from seeds that came from a different source. Not all leaves are affected and i don't really see any wilting or yellowing. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

I checked for mites and didn't see any. I have had a couple leaf hoppers on days here and there but nothing compared to last year. I'm on a balcony in the concrete jungle so i don't get tons of garden pests.

This post was edited by doomahx on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 6:25

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small brown spots on cherry tomato and eggplant

This is the eggplant. These spots seem a bit different and are mainly visible on the underside while the tomato spots seem to be fully visible on both sides on the leaf.

o

looks like rust to me, maybe this thread will help ?

BZ

Here is a link that might be useful: see here

o

I had the exact same thing on my lower Hawaiian Pineapple tomato foliage after a week of rain. All other plants were fine. I removed a few of the affected branches (left one of them,) and sprayed with a fungicide. The one branch still looks the same and no other branches are affected, and things are drying out a little. I just attributed it to the constant cool moist conditions.

o

Yes, I was looking at images of rust earlier, could be....

As Ed says, remove those leaves/branches, put 'em in a bag, and throw them away.

Josh

o

I will go ahead and remove the affected leaves.

Will neem oil help as a preventative measure? I have it read it has some fungicidal properties but not 100% sure.

o

Just to be sure we're comparing apples to apples, are the spots on the leaves visible on both sides? So that the tissue within the spot seem dry/dead? If so, I've noticed spots similar to those on your tomato plant on both tomato and potato leaves, and it always follows periods of unusually heavy rainfall. Once the weather improves, the spots don't spread, and they've never affected yield or overall plant health in any way that I've noticed. I've never removed affected leaves and never treated my plants with a fungicide (or anything else). Have you had a lot of rain or potentially overwatered?

o

The tissue on the tomato plant is not dry/dead, it's just cosmetic at this point.

Some of the spots on the eggplant were starting to dry in the center.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here