Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Protecting veggies from extreme sun idea

Posted by Remodeller none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 7:12

The forecast says triple digits tomorrow, and the next 5-6 days! Since my global veggies have cages on them I decided to cover them with a car windshield sun reflector and some clips from 99cent store. For the side of the cage I just cut up a 99 cent store bag (the larger ones with the green strap handles)and had the inside facing out (since its a white tarp like material). See pic- these plants will get morning to noon Sunlight, as the Sun moves directly over the pants they will be shielded, then by around 330 or 430 pm the plants will be shaded by the backyard facing wall(about 5 feet or less from wall) of the house (wall faces East where Sun rises). See pic, Ill let you all know how this works out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Protecting veggies from extreme sun idea

I used to also have this problem, not sure where you live but in a NY heatwave, my veggies would totally dry out. I started using a Brolly (www.brollyusa.com) and it has helped tremendously! Also really easy to attach/remove the canopy.

o
RE: Protecting veggies from extreme sun idea

Floating row cover. Or a material called Tulle, available in fabric stores. Or maybe Shade cloth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here