Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gnats in potting soil

Posted by 1dahlia4me 7A (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 18, 11 at 8:15

I moved 5 vegetable plants to larger pots yesterday, and used a mix of a couple kinds of potting soil, some leaf compost and a little vermiculite. One of the bags of potting soil must have been old -- had a bunch of gnats flying around as I did this. Now I'm worried that these gnats or their larvae are going to harm my plants. Is this something to worry about? What can I do to get rid of them? These pots are outside, so I'm not worried about the gnats themselves -- just what if any damage they can do to my plants. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gnats in potting soil

Read the other thread from this week called Fungus flies.. Neem EM..? They are almost certainly fungus gnats.

o

Fungus gnats live in soil with leaf mold as you describe yours, and the larvae do eat the roots of your plants. A drench of BT is effective on the larvae. BT is available either in granules or mosquito dunks, and needs to be dissolved in Irrigation water. Al

o

Yes, I did read that other thread after posting this. I'll drench with BT, thanks. I think I have some in the shed under the name of Green Step that I bought for tomato hornworm a year or two ago. It's meant to be diluted and then sprayed on the plant. Anyone know if that would work for this purpose?

I assume irrigation water just means the water I will drench the pots with?

o

Green step is the wrong kind of BT. You want the kind for mosquitos and fly larva. The same people who sell Green Step also sell knock out gnats, which is the right kind of BT. Or you could dissolve mosquito dunks in the water you use to water the plants.

o
Thank you!

Thanks so much for the help! I'll go and get the right stuff.

o

quick question, i was wondering if anything kills the bacteria? for instance i was going to drench my pots per the mosquito dunks instructions, but can i also add ferts/vinegar to it as well? or should i just treat the soil and wait to fertilize them?

Eric

o

You can use hydrogen peroxide mixed with water ,I believe 10-25 % peroxide to water and put in a hand sprayer ,repeat every couple days till they are gone (3-4 times)
(The solution kills the adults ..not the eggs )
And is safe in the soil

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here