Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alenick

TopHat Blueberries

AleNick
9 years ago

I received some TopHat blueberry bushes from eburgess.com which I'm assuming are about a year old if that. They are planted in large half whiskey barrel planters on the south side of my house so they get sun all day. They don't seem to be growing well and actually seem to be drying out and turning brown is spots. Are they getting too much afternoon sun? They are watered regularly and are planted in a combination of Scotts Potting Soil and Miracle Grow Potting Mix. I haven't tested the soil ph lately either.

Comments (2)

• charina
    9 years ago

I highly suspect your pH is well too high for the bbs, and will eventually do them in. While I believe both of those potting mixes are peat based, they will be amended to bring the pH up to the range that most plants prefer - too high for bbs.

Some experienced growers advocate afternoon sun for newly planted bbs even if the pH is correct. But, with a high pH that could be interfering with root growth, I would think that full sun on the south side of a house could quickly cook them, no matter how often you water or moisture retentive the mix is. They just won't have the roots to survive in such a situation. I didn't really plan on giving my newly planting bbs afternoon shade, but where I set them up, they do. And they are growing very well this first year.

If you want to save them, I'd highly suggest replanting them in a proper pH mix (pine bark and/or peat), and move them where they will be shaded in the heat of the afternoon.

• AleNick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kind of what I was thinking. Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'm stopping by Lowes on the way home today.