Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fire ants in containers

Posted by yaso 8a (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 8:31

I grow many fruits and veggies in containers in Dallas, TX. There are fire ants in several of my containers, I think each of the containers have separate ant colonies. I don't want to use any chemicals or poisons.

Any ideas to get rid of them would appreciated.

Also does the fire ants damage the plants in the containers?

This post was edited by yaso on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 13:21

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fire ants in containers

Well, you could always try red cedar or maybe licorice root, and mulch the topside, but if you really want to kill them, I hear this stuff works pretty damn well. I'm sure you can find some brand-name pesticides that incorporate it as the main ingredient.

EDIT: be sure to use "baits" as ants usually take the food source deep into the colony

This post was edited by Mustang_Ed on Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 13:11

o

thanks mustang,

will check more on the spinosad.

I agree baits seems to be the better option, Most of my potted plants are edible and I did read in another posting that instant grits works well. It seems, once consumed grits will expand and kill the ants. Will try it and update the forum.

o

Have a look here first:

Here is a link that might be useful: Ants and solid food

o

Grits cannot work to control ants. However, application of grits 'may' make that little group of ants move elsewhere nearby.

To answer your question about the damage to your container plants....YES! Fire ant activity can damage plants in containers as well as newly planted trees, shrubs, and other plants in the ground.

It's doubtful that each container has it's own colony, but rather branches of the same 'household'. That is, unless you are talking about containers separated by quite a distance....say, the front yard versus the back yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here