Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palm_shade

5-1-1 lime/Fertilizer

Palm_shade
10 years ago

I have just a few questions regarding lime and fertilizer to get me prepared.

I think ive made a mistake with lime, I just watched a video on 5-1-1 mix and was advised not to use powderd lime but bigger bits, ive made 2 4 gallon mixes with powdered lime, so its wrong? Can I flush the mix and go and buy larger particled lime and add that? If its easy to wash the lime away how much flushing will I need to do?

Im getting abit confused ive just been reading a post where plants arnt doing very well in 5-1-1 mix and general consensus is N lockout and not enough starting nutriants but I also read crf is optional and to leave the plant atleast aweek before fertilzing after a repot, so should I be using a crf? If I can get a complete fertilizer do I still use water soluble with waterings?1 type of ws fertilizer I have does have (I think) mg the other doesn't.
If I cant get dolomitic lime would using epsom salts be ok instead?

Comments (13)

• Ernie
    10 years ago

I've used powdered lime exclusively for 5+ years without a problem. In fact, I thought powdered was preferred, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm using a CRF (Osmocote Plus) for the first time this year, and I'm really liking the results. If you choose to use it, incorporate it in your mix prior to planting for an even distribution, or, if that's not option, mix it thoroughly into the top few inches. At the recommended level, it's not going to provide sufficient nutrients for most plants without a supplemental soluble fertilizer, so, ideally, use both. You can skip the soluble for the first week or so after planting to avoid further stressing the plant. The CRF shouldn't be a problem in that regard.

Finally, there's no need to use epsom salts if your fertilizer has Mg. If it doesn't and you can't get dolomite, then epsom salts would be good idea.

• Palm_shade
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok thanks very much answered perfectly :)
    I have the mixes in bags so Im able to add crf in.

Thinking maybe in the video he uses larger particals of lime so the mix is ready to use right away?, I read somewhere to leave the lime in for 2 weeks before use in order allow the reaction to happen, I guess the powdered lime will be absorbed in and then not be able to be washed away?

• Ernie
    10 years ago

I don't really understand how a mix with granulated lime would be ready faster -- it seems like the powdered would be more reactive. Regardless, I often prepare the mix immediately before planting.

• Palm_shade
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I dont know I was just speculating, I thought maybe cause granulated wouldnt get washed away so it wouldnt need a headstart and in the video he didnt say you need to leave the mix so giving the impression its ready right away.
    That's all

• Palm_shade
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I dont know I was just speculating, I thought maybe cause granulated wouldnt get washed away so it wouldnt need a headstart and in the video he didnt say you need to leave the mix so giving the impression its ready right away.
    That's all

• Ernie
    10 years ago

There could be a good reason for his decision to use granulated -- I'm curious about the reasoning, as well. Maybe someone else will chime in with their thoughts...

• Palm_shade
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heres the link.
    6:50

Here is a link that might be useful: 5-1-1

• Ernie
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link. I recognize the username of the guy who made the video -- I know that he's posted here in the Container forum in the past, but I don't recall seeing any recent posts. I think he might be emphasizing that you shouldn't use hydrated lime. Whether it's prilled (as in the video) or powdered, any dolomite or garden lime should be fine. Powdered will raise pH more rapidly than prilled, but both will work. Regardless, as redshirtcat emphasizes, just be sure to stay away from hydrated lime.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I certainly prefer powdered Dolomitic Lime.
    It spreads and incorporates much more easily and thoroughly, and the Lime dust readily adheres to the moist bark to begin the reaction.

Here's a video I made for the 5-1-1 -
    Potting Mix - making 5-1-1

Josh

• Palm_shade
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, great vid!
    I feel reasured now, my lime is about the cosintcay of medium grade sand, im not sure if its dolomite it just says ph amender so im guessing not? I dont think I can get osmocote plus here I think ill have to get regular osmocote or mc crf and epsom salts with waterings

10 years ago

I use regular Osmocote, in the 19-6-12 formula, if I recall correctly. It works fine as part of a fertilization regimen.

Josh

• Palm_shade
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, ill choose Osmocote over MC.
    I did find Osmocote pro, ive got an option to get 3-4 8-9 or 12-14 months controlled release, im assuming 12-14 month formula would be better unless for any reason that's not a good idea?

10 years ago

I use the 3-4 month formula exclusively.

Josh