Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klwallace12_gw

Peas/beans

klwallace12
9 years ago

Hey everyone, I am starting my seeds this week and haven't been able to find answers about my beans.

I have sugar snap peas, pole beans (Kentucky wonders), and a bush bean (contender) and I want to start them in containers. I cant find info on how many to put in each container. I will likely be using a 5 gal bucket for my pole beans but not sure on the other two.

If someone could point me in the direction on the needs of snap peas and bush beans I would be forever grateful.

Comments (10)

• ettaterrell
    9 years ago

I planted 9 in 1 sf. of bush beans. so I would say 9 or so.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

I would plant one! (nine!!??) OK, maybe a couple but not 9! In ground you space them 6 inches apart. So like maybe 2 or 3 at the very most.
    It's kinda late, snap peas are a cold crop so can be planted in August.
    Probably enough time to start the beans, don't start the snap peas till mid august. They may bolt if planted now. Don't know? Never grew them. But I want to try them. Sugar snap peas are so good!

• ettaterrell
    9 years ago

Mine say 4 in apart and as I said in a square foot, yes 9,

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Mine say 4 in apart and as I said in a square foot, yes 9,"

It might be type of bean, I guess one should read the package of beans you got. Mine say 18-30 inches for rows, so it can only be one row in a pot.
    I would worry about fungal infections that close, no air circulation. They are huge plants. At least mine are.
    Two would fill a square foot, thus 6 inches apart, 30 inches for rows. The leaves alone are 6 inches wide.

Bush is the key, 9 bushes in one square foot? i don't think that is a good idea. Unless you want a super low yield.
    I grow mine in the ground, but if in a 5 gallon pot I would put one in it. They have a 10 inch spread.
    Google "how to grow beans" for more info. Look at growing guides on seed sites. Like Burpee has a growing guide link on every page.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 13:00

• klwallace12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both. I purchased my seeds online and they came in smaller zip bags they didn't come in a regular packet. So I don't have instructions. I have recommendation for what I can find online which has been the problem. I have bush beans and pole beans. Never worked with either

• greasybeans
    9 years ago

According to Square Foot Gardening, you can plant them 3 inches apart.Because they are in an enriched soil with lots of nutrients you can plant them this close. This was designed for beans that grow on a vine. Bush beans would require more spacing.
    You might want to think about shading, too. If they are planted too close they will shade one another to some degree. Although this didn't affect beans that I grew in a Tee-pee fashion in a regular garden.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

"According to Square Foot Gardening,"
    I remember seeing something on tomatoes
    I don't remember the distance, but the distance was absurd. You can plant tomato plants 6 feet apart and they will touch eventually. The SQ foot suggestion was way too close. I do think some things can be planted closer, but 9 bush beans in one square foot is not going to work at all. The package probably said 4 inches apart to plant, and thin to 6 inches, I would bet on that.
    Oh and I would plant tomatoes 3 feet apart, and remove most suckers, leave some. I do grow tomatoes in pots. 30 gallon 1 plant. Tomato roots can grow over 4 feet. If you do this production is amazing. My average pot size is 15 gallons. I like the plants to be big and productive.
    I had the same type pepper plant in a 5 gallon and a 15 gallon. The 5 gallon produced 15 peppers. the 15 gallon produced 75.

• NBM81
    9 years ago

Hi klwallace!

You will have great luck using containers for your peas and beans. If you're planning to use a 5-gallon bucket for pole beans, construct some sort of trellis (maybe using a 54" tomato cage, twine and some bamboo?) for them to climb on. The higher, the better - perhaps as tall as 6 feet (read: something other than tomato cage). I planted bush beans (info below), but if I were planting pole beans, I'd make ý"-1" deep holes with my fingertips spaced 3" evenly across the top of the bucket. Plant two seeds per hole, thin to one when seedlings are 3-4" tall. Train onto the trellis and then let them do their thing. They're amazing like that.

I am growing both sugar snap peas and bush beans in containers and all are doing fine. I planted two "rows" of pea seeds in a large rectangular container - probably 26l x 10w x 10d. Every 3" I planted two pea seeds ý" deep. Once the seedlings were a few inches tall, I thinned to one seedling per hole. I threw two small (36") tomato cages in the container for them to climb and they're thriving. A small trellis would work better, but the cages work fine.

I have two containers of bush beans (same size as that used for the snap peas) - one stringless green and the other yellow wax. In each container, I planted one "row" of bean seeds down the center lengthwise. I spaced them at about 5", poked 1" deep holes, planted two seeds per hole. Thinned to one plant per hole at 3-4" tall. Each container has 4 plants and they're doing fantastic. Mulched the top few inches of the container with wood and only have to water every 3 days or so.

I water each of these containers thoroughly every 2-3 days, or until water comes out the drain holes, and I supplement fish emulsion at ý strength in the watering can every Sunday morning since the size of the containers would mean the plants will quickly use what doesn't drain out. Multiple hot days in the 90s means daily water.

Snap peas:

This post was edited by NBM81 on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 15:37

• NBM81
    9 years ago

Here are the bush beans:

This post was edited by NBM81 on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 15:09

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Hey it all depends what you want, production will not be there, but if it works for you fine. The more room you give them the more production, don't believe me try it. On some things you can plant closer as said, but no doubt bigger pots, more space would mean more beans.
    Simple law of physics really. more roots, more top growth. The roots confined can only support so much growth. It is cool to do what you're doing. because how many do you need? And ok you got more than 15 peppers, but you didn't get 75 either. What's nice about your method is you can plant a lot of different things, if space is limited. Thanks for showing those photos, it looks to work well enough for sure. I may have to do it now to. As I'm getting way too many peppers and beans than I need. i could grow other items. My only concern is how easy a fungus could spread among your plants. I could limit mine to a plant, no doubt if one of yours comes down with it, all will. Everybody if they grow long enough will face these issues. They are cute little plants though!