Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green onion companion?

Posted by mannye z10 Miami Beach (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 10:08

I need to use space as efficiently as possible in my kitchen garden. I just put some green onion bulbs I had leftover in a pot and they have taken off very well growing what seems like inches per day.

I have a lot of extra room in that pot and I was thinking of adding an herb to keep the green onions company. Is there anything that's recommended? I've already got Basil, Thyme, Rosemary, Oregano and Dill going. But if any one of those is a good companion I can transfer and use the other pot for something else...Sage maybe.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green onion companion?

Your concern should probably be whether the companion plant will over power/shade the oinions prior to harvest. For example my basil starts to get large about June 20; will you harvest the oinions before the basil gets too large? You might try smaller plants such as parsley. Plant the parsley in the center of the pot surreounded by a circle of onions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here