Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chilliwin

avocado in container

chilliwin
10 years ago

Hi,

I hope I am going to have an avocado plant. I think it is going to germinate the outer shell is breaking:
{{gwi:34972}}

{{gwi:34974}}

I would like to grow it in a container. So I am request for the container size and soil information for this tree.

Thanks in advance.
Caelian

Comments (8)

• fireduck
    10 years ago

C...I am knowledgeable about avocados...and am learning about container mixes. First avos: keep in mind if you plant the sprouted seed and do not graft...you will have a nice tree. However, ungrafted fruit trees seldom have quality fruit (besides the fact it takes many more years to fruit). Secondly: Container size depends on your plans to re-pot someday. The small seedling can grow a few years in a 15 gal nursery pot. Check this site for soil mixes like 1-1-1...so you do not end up with wet muck in the bottom of your container (need good drainage).

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fireduck, thank you for the reply. "15 gal nursery pot" it sounds like this tree is not for me. I thought I can grow in about 10 gal :( I will try to find out the soil mix 1:1:1.
    Caelian

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Hey, Caelian!
    I've grown an avocado for several years as a Winter houseplant, since it's too cold here to plant in the ground. I continuously prune my plant to keep it shapely; fruit has never been my goal. I started this project hoping only to learn how to keep a healthy container specimen, in order that I might offer growing advice to others (namely, my sister). She has just sprouted another seed and will make a second attempt.

I'm using a mix similar to the 5-1-1, but with turface and scoria (red lava rock).

Josh

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Josh, thank you for the reply. Nowadays I would like to grow whatever I can :-) gardening is so addictive and sometimes very challenging.

Once I have seen the pictures of your avocado dug out from the garden. May be some day your avocado'd be yield fruits as long as you keep it healthy. Since I was quiet young I love healthy plants but I do not like flowers. This time I am thinking to plant some of them to attract the bees for pollination of the chili plants. I have heard chili plants are self pollinated but I like pollination by insects and bees too. I am thinking to keep the avocado for house plant, not for fruit.

We got turface like container soil mix. The one you have mentioned to me NAPA (I cannot remember very well) substitute of turface is available. But do not see any differences from DE cat litter. Scoria may be difficult to find here. I think the principle of container medium will be the same that's well-drain and not water retentive.

Growing advice is very important here, I know very well your contribution and effort to help many people here. Many people joined the forum to provide help as well as taking help. I wish to get advice from you. Still I use so many methods you have taught to me. Only I gave up to use 100% pure 5:1:1 but it does not meant 5:1:1 is bad. Many times I think to start a thread to explain why I stop using 5:1:1 but I am indecisive.

Just I got bad news from my friend, two of the ghost plants got pod rot problems, one of them is at the end of the pod and another one is somewhere in the middle. I will upload when I got the pictures.

Thank you again for helping me so many times, you have earned your good reputation here. You are always very helpful.

Caelian

10 years ago

Thanks, Caelian, it's my pleasure to help when I can.
    And don't worry about modifying the 5-1-1. Indeed, it is a "starting point" recipe that is meant to be customized. And, as you note, the *principles* of water movement and drainage in a container mix is really what's important. With that knowledge, you can combine local ingredients from your area to achieve the same goal: drainage and aeration.

I can give you this tip that will be very helpful: avocados do not handle bare-rooting or transplanting well. For this reason, it is best to plant the avocado seed in the potting mix in which it will grow for a year or two. A 1-gallon pot is fine. Good drainage is essential, as this will allow you to flush the mix and prevent the ugly brown tips that develop on most avocado plants that spend time indoors.

Your seed is ready to be planted now, half-way out of the mix.

Josh

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Josh, thank you again for the tips. Still I remember "roots" first then "leaves" and skewers works so useful. The leaves are the faces and the roots are the hearts, I think. Broken heart does not have a smiling face :-). When the leaves are bright and beauty, I think they are smiling. When the leaves are not doing very well then I started to check the roots the hearts. Before I thought a good fertilizer can fix many problems but I was wrong, it is the soil the foundation of the plants. I still follow the principles of Al Tapla's education on container gardening.

Thank you again.

Caelian

10 years ago

Good morning!

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Josh, your avocado and other plants are awesome. The big container stand is also very nice. Please update regularly.

Thank you for sharing.

Caelian