Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much lime in small batches of 5-1-1?

Posted by rarvn z8 Coastal, SC (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 10:11

Hello everyone. I've been following the 5-1-1 discussions here with great interest. I've been using "bagged" potting mixes for years and haven't been completely satisfied with any of them. I'm going to be repotting some very small indoor plants soon and want to try them in the 5-1-1.

My main question is about lime. I'm mixing a small batch of 5 cups bark, 1 cup perlite and 1 cup peat moss for a total of 7 cups dry mix. Can someone please tell me how much lime to add to that? Thank you.

I have an additional question about the repotting procedure itself. Do I leave the rootball intact when I repot the plant, or do I go ahead and rinse all the old soil mix away, essentially bare-rooting the plant?

Thank you so much to anyone who answers. I'm really excited about trying my own mixes and the 5-1-1 seems instinctively right to me.

Peggy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much lime in small batches of 5-1-1?

I tablespoon per gallon of mix. 7 cups is almost 1/2 gallon. So the correct amount would be a little less than 1/2 tablespoon. Maybe someone else can answer the rootball question, but IMO as long as its not rootbound I would just loosen the roots a little and repot it.

o

• Posted by rarvn z8 Coastal, SC (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 14:04

Thank you very much for the quick answer, edweather. That was exactly what I needed to know.

o

Which houseplants are you re-potting?

In general, it's best to remove as much of the old soil as possible before re-potting.

Josh

o

• Posted by rarvn z8 Coastal, SC (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 8:46

I'm repotting russelia, aeschynanthus, punica granatum, iochroma, justicia, columnea, and odd and various ornamental peppers. They are all very young plants so I was hesitant to overly disturb the roots. I did some of them yesterday and decided to gently wash away a good deal of the nursery soil because that soil just didn't look too great compared to the 5-1-1.

They look great so far. Nice and perky, no wilting at all.

I really appreciate all the 5-1-1 information and tips in this forum. I feel very good about the health of the roots of my plants potted in the 5-1-1.

Thank you all for helping with my questions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here