Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_wonderful

Rooting runners from a strawberry plant in hanging basket

organic_wonderful
12 years ago

Not sure if I asked this and forgot about the question, but I really think not I have a bad memory compounded by insomna bouts.

But anyway, I have quite a few beloved stawberry plants that look lovely in hanging baskets in my greenhouse and I was thinking of trying to root some of the many small potential plantlets in the form of thost strawberry runners. The issue is that a hanging basket is high up and the rooting could be hard. Is my only option to remove the hangingn basket from their hooks inside the greenhouse and to lay them on the ground so that they can be lightly clamped down onto pots filled with multipurpose compost and encouraged to root into the medium? Or can I surround the strawberry runner bases with moist sphagnum moss (the green stuff for hanging baskets) and wrap with perforations in the clingfilm to create a humid atmosphere within to facilitate gas exchange? And once opened, when there appears to be root formation, sever the 'umbilical' cord to the plantlet and plant in a pot of multipurpose compost until it roots through and forms a new plant?

Comments (6)