Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Non-draining pots

Posted by gcotterl riverside calif (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 10:59

Water isn't draining out of the holes in my resin pots.

Before adding potting soil into the pots, what should I put in the bottom of the pots? Rocks? Landscape fabric? Insect screening?

Should the pots be sitting in their saucers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Non-draining pots

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 11:08

I use pieces of shade cloth, but a piece of window screen works by far the best. Do not use rocks.

How much water are you adding? What plants are you growing? How big are the pots? What is the soil mix? All that matters.

o

I have 12" to 18" inch resin pots (all with saucers)

Miracle-Gro® Potting Mix.

I have an assortment of plants

The potting soil is 2" below the rim of the pots. I add water until it spills over the rim and, when the soil absorb that water, I repeat the filling process two or three more times.

o

If it were me, I'd rethink the medium I'm using and go with something more sharp draining, with larger particles, better aeration, and more room for error in watering.

Pieces of screen are what most of us use for drainage hole coverage in containers. Don't introduce another layer by using rocks... that will work against the idea of drainage by creating a place for moisture to hang up... called a perched water table.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here