Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Super Dwarf Cavendish Banana in Container

Posted by Alexperry2008 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 11:00

I just received my Super Dwarf Cavendish Banana plant and I am not sure what kind of soil to repot it in. I have a few citrus plants that are currently using Al's 5-1-1 soil mix. Is this mix okay for banana plants as well?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Super Dwarf Cavendish Banana in Container

I just put a Rajapuri in 5-1-1. Seems happy. Bananas need a lot of water, so 5-1-1 is much better than gritty for bananas. I'm sure people put them in normal potting soil, banana stalks die after blooming and new stalks shoot up, so banana growers typically replace the mix every year when they separate the suckers from the dead banana stalk.

o
RE: Super Dwarf Cavendish Banana in Container

Last year I grew a "truly tiny" dwarf musa in 5-1-1 and it thrived pretty well. Started as a tiny plant (maybe 3 inches tall, with a few spindly leaves, looked half dead) in May, was about 3 ft wide and high, putting out leaves over 18" long each week by the end of August. I grew it as an annual, for fun, due to my zone and lack of space to overwinter it.

I gave it lots of fertilizer and water, had to repot three times between may and september, did not realize how fast it would grow.

Daniel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here