Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container size for muscadine grapes?

Posted by m_taggart 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 11:02

Can anyone recommend a container size for growing muscadine grapes? I have 3 seedlings from a muscadine that I ate all last summer that was out of this world. Hoping I'll get lucky and one of these three seedlings will be just as good.

Also, would smart pots work well with the gritty mix for this application, or would the plants dry out too quickly?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container size for muscadine grapes?

I'm trying a Cowart muscadine in a 10-gallon fabric pot filled with the 5-1-1 mix. As you can see in the linked thread, fruitnut has had great success with 10 gallon pots, and that's about the limit of what I'm willing to do right now since I want to be able to easily move the pot. If you don't need to move the pots, though, I'm sure that your muscadines would appreciate a bit more leg room as time goes on.

As for your other question, I really don't see a compelling reason to chose the gritty mix over the 5-1-1 mix when you're using fabric pots. In fact, thanks to its enhanced breathability and wicking properties, I think you could probably get by with an even heavier mix.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Grape Vines in Containers

o

Thanks, shazaam. I'll give the 10 gallon pots a go.

As an aside, do you think the gravel show in the image below would work for the gritty mix?

o

I would think so. Some of the pieces might be a bit large, but, overall, I think it would suffice. If you have a local Tractor Supply, their bags of granite chicken grit are ideal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here