Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thanks for idea on containers

Posted by OKgrowin (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 11:11

I wanted to do containers this year and after reading much on here and pepper forum i chose 5-1-1 and 5 gallon pots for my peppers.

Here's an album of me making the 5-1-1
happi gro organic compost(pine bark) 6$ per 2cuft
perlite 19$ for big bag
sphagnum peat moss 3 cuft 19$
pelletized lime 19$ for bag

SfZJkGY.jpg
esVCmw6.jpgkuzo6pu.jpggpLiIY2.jpgNyJYlRs.jpgKv347Jd.jpg

For containers i used 5&3 gal viagrow grow bags, because they are cheap(52 cent each)!

Here's my plants setup

Closeup of the 5-1-1 after a month wet

and my drip setup

and nutes

Thanks a lot for all the info you guys post, hopefully i can give some advice now too =].

This post was edited by OKgrowin on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 11:23

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thanks for idea on containers

That is a neat setup. I've been thinking I'll use those 5 gallon bags in a row under my string trellis next year. I'd like to do the auto fertilizer as well, but I don't think it's really justified for 10-15 bags. (50, yow!)

I think I'll use a partial compost mix and fertilize weekly.

Great to see a bag/drip system in action.

o

OKgrowin ~
Where do you buy your perlite? I can only find bags that are big enough to fill a 2 gallon bucket and that is $6.

Stacy

o

Does anyone doing 5-1-1 try the rice hull substitution?

Parboiled Rice Hulls: A Viable Media Alternative

In many areas I'd expect the hulls to be much cheaper. They might not be as long lasting ... but long enough for a couple cycles of annual crops.

(My local source has it for $8 per "6 cu feet loose.")

o

stacy i had to call around the local nurseries, they had to order it as they don't carry them on hand all the time.

o

Congratulations! Lookin good. Especially the cute little nute on the right. I want one of those!

o

OKgrowin, thanks for the tip. I will call some of our nurseries to see if i can get any in. Its ridiculous buying the small 8qt bags for so many containers.

Your containers look great, we can tell all the hard work you are putting into them. You'll have to let us know how those bags work out for you. I am interested in getting some.

Stacy

o

• Posted by jutsFL 9b (Orlando) (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 8:28

Looks great!

I've got the same Orbit timer on my drip as well, it's performing like a champ at the moment. I'm still weary of the fert injection though (do mine 1/week by hand still), hear it clogs the drippers pretty readily. Any problems with that for you so far?

Jay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here