Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davemichigan

Containers and Strong Wind

davemichigan
15 years ago

Hi, I am new to gardening. Last winter I got 5 amaryllises. They are in small containers. Now that spring has arrived I want to put them outside to receive sunlight.

I thought how hard can that be? Just take them out, right? NOOOO! I found that winds can easily turn them over.

So what should/can I do? I could probably put all of them inside a storage bin, but that would look ugly.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion!

Comments (5)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    15 years ago

Hasn't this wind just been a pain in the butt, Dave? I've lost a couple of expensive ceramic containers to the wind after they were blown from one of the deck railings. Lots of tattered leaves on the container plants & the big-leafed stuff in the "tropical" bed here, too. First the freezes & now the gales. ;o) Wish I had a suggestion, but I don't - only commiseration. ;o)

Al

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Hi guys! I agree that the weather's been a little weird lately... and now, it's the rains!

Dave, I'd group the pots close together for support and protection... this will help a little... if you can find a sheltered spot for them on the east side of a building, that would help, too.

I have this French Willow shrub that I keep pruned into somewhat of a bushy standard, you might say, and it's planted on the east side of a garage... I group my potted bulbs and tender plants under that shrub, and so far, no windblown disasters. It helps that there is another building to the east of that one, about 30 feet away. It's a nice sheltered driveway area between the two buildings, both garages.

I've also got some containers right in the garden beds, between, or among, other plants... this helps keep them upright, and shelters them somewhat... against fences, under trees, by buildings, in garden borders... all of these places can add a bit of protection against winds and other natural type disturbances.

I hope this helps, or at least gives you an idea or two.

• redneck_grower
    15 years ago

You could try putting rocks in the bottoms of the containers. But, read tapla's posts on container soils and water movement to understand the implications of this layer of rocks on drainage of the soil.

• desertfarmerjohn
    15 years ago

I can definately commiserate concerning the wind. Here in southern Nevada, the strong and scalding desert winds seem to blow for weeks at a time (really its only days, but it seems much longer). In the Summer I compare it to walking around inside a giant hair dryer. The only suggestion that I have is to get some larger containers or find a way to stake and tie the plants to something stable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Gardening in the Desert

• patrick212
    15 years ago

Dave,

The wind has made it a rough spring for everyone. In Chicago I think it has blown between 15-30 mph for the last week. For my large containers I use three eye bolts in the upper lip of the container (all plastic) then use hollow nylon rope to anchor them to a set of three eye screws in the deck. This keeps them in place no matter which direction the wind blows.

For smaller puts you could possibly use a "double pot" system. You could anchor a slightly larger pot than the one your plant is in through the center hole to your deck or yard (possibly using some type of stake with a large washer). Then by placing your potted plant into the anchored larger pot it may give you the stability you're looking for...or the 50 mph winds may blow both of them over.

Good luck and let's just hope for some calm 80 degree weather.

Take care, Pat