Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container tomato question

Posted by cottonpa none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 4, 11 at 11:22

apologies ahead of time for sounding novice - it's because I am.
This is my first attempt at container tomatoes. I planted a couple varieties in 5 gallon buckets, drilled holes in bottom and sides for drainage. The bottom is thick bark mulch with organic planting soil on top and around the plant. I water 2-3 times a week and when planted added vigora tomato and veggie food then added that again about a month and a half in.
Plant 1 is producing fruit but the leaves are wilting and turning brown? Pic below - I can't seem to figure out what's going on?
Plant 2 has a couple small green fruits and some leaves, mostly on top, seem healthy - but many others, mostly at bottom, are dark green and seem leathery, and seem to be curling a little around the edges?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated...here are pics of mentioned plants.

PLANT 1

From Jun 3, 2011

LINK
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ILFpATVyqSGP94Jg43Y978HRLl1dL7HDiCwPd-u9TcY?feat=directlink

PLANT 2

From Jun 3, 2011-2

LINK
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/gBO0GBzeF0EdU2UXbJ30A-aV6UTK9gM9q36TA_8DQjo?feat=directlink

Thank you in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container tomato question

Mature tomato plants in 5 gallon buckets usually need a lot more water.

o

so maybe water every morning?
thanks for your suggestion.

o

Cant see pics. You say you used bark?

What kind of bark what size. Is it soil conditoner grade. If so and it is the right size it could be the ph if you did not add lime to the bark. The bark has a ph of 4 or so that is way to low, tomatoes like about 5.5-6.5. You could topdress with some lime and see if that works. It could be anothr problem.

If leavs fold up overwatering, leavs fold down underwatering.

o

the leaves are folding down so I think it might be under watering, I'm gonna give that a try and see what happens...thank you!

o

• Posted by jajm4 z5 w. mass usa (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 8, 11 at 15:43

Stick your finger in the soil. You should be able to tell if it's too wet or too dry. Don't rely on a set schedule, because the amount of water the plant will need can vary, depending on such things as the weather, the size of the pot, the type of soil mix, size of the plant, etc.

o

Is there any other reason that tomato leaves would curl up? Like if it's too hot? I've seen plants curl their leaves for protection against heat. At night in the dark when I come home from work I check my tomato plants and some of the plants have curled up leaves, but the next day they are flat again. Could it also be a nighttime thing? I also might be over watering, as it has been very sunny warm and dry for the last 2 weeks.

o

Sounds like you have large pieces(pieces over an inch ?) of bark in the bottom and threw potting soil on top ,is that correct ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here