Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Emergency rain question!!

Posted by ejh805 8b (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 12 at 11:30

It's been raining for 24 straight hours now. It's been alternating between heavy rain and light sprinkles. I have all of my plants outside in pots. I'm growing several herbs which should be fine. I'm worried about my tomatoes and peppers though. They're in 10 gallon pots. The types are banana peppers and husky cherry tomatoes.

The soil they're in drains pretty well. And the tomatoes on the plant are still extremely small and green.

Should I cover them so they don't receive anymore water? Or will they be all right to wait it out?

Here is a link that might be useful: Weather forecast in my area

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Emergency rain question!!

You could try to cover them, it may help some. They will most likely need a good fertilizing once the rains let up.

o

Howelbama-

I knew about the rain beforehand, so the night before it started raining, I actually mixed some osmocote into the top 3 inches of soil. Do you think they'll need more once the weather dries up?

o

Since Osmocote is slow release, that should keep you covered for a bit.

o

Slow release fertilizer will help with rain a lot. I've tried with and without, and in my area we seem get a lot of rain or none at all, and I found it hard to keep up with fertilization without any SRF when we got a lot of rain. I tend to use a combination of both SRF and fertigation now, and that seems to work best for me. I use a lower dose of SRF, and then fertigate at low doses which I adjust for plant needs.

As far as the soil, the amount of drainage really does matter. From my experiments, 5:1:1 drains just fine in rain, and actually helps it from becoming hydrophobic. Alternatively though, I found peat based soils do get saturated in rain, and should be moved or covered, the reason I don't use them any more.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 20:22

You'll find at least 2 good tips that will help you deal with excess water retention. Read carefully about the wicks and tilting containers.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Tips

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here