Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shepherds hook leaning to one side

Posted by erinb007 Naperville, IL (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 12, 05 at 11:31

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me here. Every year I get these huge, beautiful baskets that never hang right on my shepherds hook. I get the hook that has one on each side thinking it will balance out..it never works..the hook always is lopsided...does anyone have any ideas for small hanging weights that I would put on one side to balance or any other ideas???

Signed, Lopsided in Chicago....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shepherds hook leaning to one side

You could try putting a rock in your flower pot either under the soil or ontop if it cannot be seen. You could put cinder blocks on the bottom where it sticks into the ground. That way it would give it more support to stay in the ground and not lean.

o

You could wedge a rock or brick against the leaning side to straighten it out. Or put a flat cement stepping stone on each side to maintain the balance. Did you try reversing the pots on the hooks in case one is heavier than the other? Are the hooks both at the top of the pole? Sometimes one is high and the other is lower and that can add to the un-balancing act that they do.

I have also seen people (who have very soft soil) bury a wood stake or post in the ground so it is 3-6" out of the ground. Then when they are ready to mount their sheperds hook they drive it into the ground in front of the post and anchor it to the post by screwing metal pipe clamps over the hook and into the post. Hope that wasn't too confusing.

o

Well, the rock idea is a great one and simple!!! I will try it. Thanks

I have tried wedging the brick, no can do. Yes, the hooks are at the same level.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here