Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
will my english ivy survive winter in a pot?

Posted by dkgarber zone 6- ma (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 14, 06 at 11:49

Not wanting to plant this stuff in the ground (fear of it ruling my garden forever..I already have poison ivy everwhere, don't need another invasive vine!) I planted some ivy in a pot w/ a triangular trellis so I can train it to look like a tree...

Wquestion is..will this survive a New England winter in the pot? I don't really want to bring it in b/c it is toxic to cats (and I have two) and I'd love to have the greenery all winter. I know its evergreen in the ground..what about when container planted? Sure, most dont' survive, but from what I gather English Ivy is more than hardy, so I am hoping it is an exception.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: will my english ivy survive winter in a pot?

I had "Goldheart" ivy, basically a yellow-green variegated small-leafed version of english ivy and was able to keep it going for several years growing out of soil in a rolled up garbage bag that I had slung between my half barrel water garden and my clematis container and I think I first put it out there ~1999. What got it was a winter when the temps hit the single digits with wind (I think in 2004) and it was growing over by the windy side of the balcony, so that didn't help either. I never tried to protect it during winter and the half barrel had heaters going in it to keep the water temp no less than ~50 F through winter (because I had fish in there), so there was some warmth radiating around them. But that winter, with the cold snap and the wind, this definitely would have needed something more to help it cope.

I think if you have a mild winter (not below 0 F and minimal single digits), you should do okay. In fact, it could be that the regular leaf english ivy can take the cold a bit better than the smaller leaf varieties when potted.

o

• Posted by shirl36 zone 5 Illinois (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 16, 06 at 21:45

I grew 6 English Ivies last year in 3 different pot displays. In fall put them all in 1 pot, overwintered in unheated garage, gave them winter a couple times, set them out in the spring and they look great in a pot with red geraniums.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

o

Hi,

I left some ivy out in a windowbox all winter with no protection at all and it is growing great this spring.

:-)

o

shirl36 - so what else is in that picture? Looks pretty! Are those some fern with something red (ID?) under them next to the steps...?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here