Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to Start Here?

Posted by cactusmcharris 4 / Interior BC (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 14, 11 at 11:50

Hi Folks,

I've been a contributor to the C&S Forum for years, but suddenly realized my plants might grow better if I spent some time here, as most of my succulent plants are in pots (they're moved out in summer and moved in in winter). I do have lots of cold-hardy succulents, in addition to bulbs, perennials, shrubs and trees, but since they're outside all of the time, and not in pots, they're not why I'm coming here.

So, my question to you is, as the subject says, where do I start reading? Can you direct me to specific posts that might increase my understanding of what it is that might make my potted plants grow better?

The potted plants are, as mentioned, all succulent plants (with the exception of an ivy and a hoya). My basic mix is Turface (60% or so), screened top soil (35%) and decomposed granite sand.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to Start Here?

I suggest you start with the longest running thread on this forum, now in it's 14th version, on Container Soils -- Water Movement and Retention.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils XIV

o

It is fantastic to see you here Jeff!

I am sure you will take a lot of information away from here, continue to grow such beautiful plants as I have seen you have, meet many new wonderful forum members, and even see the writings and posts of many familiar friends and members here.

Actually, I can't wait to see some of your offerings too:-)

Ohiofem certainly gave you enough to keep you busy to start with. I would also suggest a good read of that thread too. You might need to set a side a few days or even months depending on how much time you have to spare, to get through it and others like it. There is plenty to read and enjoy.

Welcome aboard!

Mike:-)

o

I agree... great starting point! The information in the link provided by Ohiofem is where I began, too... and I'm so glad I did. It really opened my eyes and made me want to learn more about the basic facts of container growing... how all the factors of a container planting relate to each other, and how basic science and physics figure in... in very easy to understand terms. Al is a great writer, mentor, grower, and friend. His articles have really helped me become a better grower. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here