Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bare root a Bougainvillea?

Posted by bgtimber75 MD, zone 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 14, 11 at 11:57

So I got 2 Bougainvillea's in Florida last year and of course since I'm not in a tropical location I have pot them and overwinter them inside. With most of the reading I did on them it says that the roots don't like being disturbed. That said when I repoted them this spring I did my best to not not disturb the roots but even with that they lost most to all of their leaves. They're filling back in now in the sun of the back yard but I would really like to put them in the gritty mix since they like dry unfertile "soil" (at least from my readings. With that said would I be able to actually bare root these things? And if so what is the best time of year to do it, in the fall before bringing them in to go dormant or next spring as they're coming out of dormancy, or somewhere in between?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bare root a Bougainvillea?

Anecdotal evidence from someone who is new to gritty mix this season:

I bought one from a good gardening center about four weeks ago because it was on sale due to fairly poor health. It was rootbound in very peaty soil with moss growing on top. It also was wilting badly within a few hours of getting it home. I discovered aphids on it, and used heavy spray from the hose to remove them. The next day, I barerooted it and transplanted it into gritty mix in a larger pot. After dousing it with neem oil because the garden center warned me it might also have white flies, I put it in bright shade for a week to recover from repotting.

Within three days, it perked up considerably. By the end of the week I put it where it gets full sun for six or more hours a day. Temperatures have been unseasonably warm here (in the high 80s and up to 97 last week), so I have been watering it every couple days and ferilizing it with Foliage Pro once a week. It's put on a lot of new growth, never losing a leaf, and now the leaves at the tips of the branches are starting to color up. Of all the plants I've put in gritty mix (about 20 different species, from herbs to clivias), this one has shown the most rapid positive response.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here