Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jopparich

What do I do with all this junk (potting mix).

JoppaRich
12 years ago

As a preface, I live in a small rowhouse,and most of my gardening is done on the balcony (5x10?) off my home office.

So, I made a whole bunch of DIY SWC's out of soda bottles, and have been growing mostly herbs and small veggies in them ( couple types of basil, catnip, and some small hot pepper plants). Some of the plants are doing great, but most of them seem to have initially grown great, and are now showing signs of water deficiency. I repotted a couple of them this weekend in 5-1-1, and their roots were in pretty tough shape. The potting mix (Which I cut some with perlite) seemed to be pretty wet.

So, to make a long story short, I have a whole bunch of plants that are going to have to eventually go into 5-1-1, and a whole lot of almost new potting soil that is simply holding too much moisture. Is there anything that can be done with this?

I have a big 18" or so pot ( I think its styro or some sort of foam), might it work in this? Any ideas? Any veggies that grow well in soil that is a bit on the wet side?

Comment (1)