Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojosplants

Odd Tomato Stem/ Warty

jojosplants
12 years ago

A friend of mine has a tomato growing in a way I've never seen before.

The stem is covered in bumps! Wart looking is the only way I can think to describe it. They are hard, and some have almost a scared/brown look to them.

It's in a topsy turvey planter, and I discovered that the poor thing is getting the hot exhaust from her AC unit, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

MG Potting soil..

It's not in the best of shape, but she is determined to save it....

Is the plant doomed?

It already has 3 strikes against it in my opinion, but she can be stubborn. lol...

JoJo

Comments (5)

• terrybull
    12 years ago

When plants are grown in unsuitable environments, including conditions of faulty mineral nutrition, they react to the particular defects in more or less specific ways. Thus, if light is insufficient, the green coloring matter of the leaf will be lacking and the leaves may be almost white (chlorotic), and the plant may be very spindly and "drawn" in appearance; if the temperature is too high, the growth may be rank and soft; if water is insufficient, growth may be restricted, the tissues woody and the green of the leaves show a bluish tint. Again, deficiencies and excesses of the individual elements produce characteristic effects on various organs of plants: foliage characters, including color, density, size and shape of leaves; stem characters, such as thickness, color and length of inter-nodes; root characters, such as color, amount of fiber, abnormal thickening; blossom characters, including amount and time of opening of the flowers; fruit characters, such as size, color, hardness and flavor.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    12 years ago

I agree that the poor thing probably has three strikes against it, but I wouldn't count the "warts" as one of them. I've often seen something like that on right side up as well as Topsy turvy tomatoes. I think those nubbins would turn into roots if they were underground. In fact, if she would carefully take it down, cut it out of the Topsy turvy planter and repot it in a deeper and wider container, burying the stem several inches deeper, those warts would probably turn into feeder roots and save the plant. Since she probably doesn't want to do that, the most important thing is to get it away from the AC exhaust.

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Right on Ohiofem!

Hey Jojo..lol

Having you around her as a friend, she just might make home run for a score!:-)

Mike

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    Thank you for your help. :-) I'll see what I can do to get her plant straightened out.

Terry~
    Thank you..
    I never considered it's environment being unfavorable, causing it. I've grown many tomato's and never saw any that looked like this. So I was stumped. lol..

Ohio,
    I was thinking the "warts" were the least of it's problems too.
    1~ Miracle grow soil
    2~ Topsy Turvy
    3~ The heat exhaust
    ;-)

All of which I told her not to do... but she figured it was a quick easy way to grow tomato's so she wouldn't have to bug me. She's handicapped, so I help her with many things and she was hoping for one less. Gotta love her..

I'll see what I can do about changing it all .

Hi Mike!
    Thanks! :-)

JoJo

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

"I think those nubbins would turn into roots if they were underground."

I agree. That's a common condition I've seen many times on many different varieties of tomato plants.