Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally re-potted the Kumquat

Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 4, 11 at 13:04

Finally, after weeks of delay due to one thing or another, we re-potted the sunken Nagami Kumquat yesterday. We also potted a new Meyer Lemon from the ground, a temporary holding place until we prepare a new in-ground spot for it later.

Anyway, this was our first venture into the world of non-commercial potting mixes. I decided to use the 5-1-1 mix (rather than gritty) due to our very hot summer temps and no one to water them when we are away on vacation. The Kumquat pot is too heavy to move to/from the shade every time we go away. (The very helpful sales lady at OSH told me they use the cactus mix for all their potted citrus. I bought several bags of it to use for other potted plants and I must say I like the mix; it seems like a suitable alternative for now. I am still working full-time, short on time, have some (hopefully temporary) health issues, and didn't want to drive all over creation looking for the various ingredients. (I hope I am not making everyone unhappy; later when I have more time and energy I will make a batch of the gritty mix from scratch --- I promise!)

Anyway, for the bark we used Black Gold Orchid mix (small pieces). I was at OSH and recalled reading it's a suitable alternative for the bark fines. The bark pieces were the right size (about 1/4") but we did not screen it... we just mixed it with 1 part Sphagnum peat and 1 part perlite (also not screened). We had been working in the yard all day and our backs and shoulders are already sore, and we wanted to get this done.

We did bare-root the Kumquat which was very easy because the mostly-dry soil just fell right out like dry dust. Since there wasn't a dense root ball, I didn't cut the roots ---- which I now regret because I understand it stimulates new root growth. I also forgot about making sure the new mix is well distributed within the roots when we first started filling, but we watered well after each addition of 1-2 inches of new mix.

Then, we put the pots in the shade. I sent an email to Dyna-Gro today, asking for a local source for the Foliage-Pro.

Can you hear them purring? :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally re-potted the Kumquat

Wow, you bare rooted with all that fruit on your plant. With my luck I'd get a heat wave and my leaves would curl and my fruit would drop right after repotting.

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 5, 11 at 21:12

There was so much loose dry soil in the root ball that it came out very easily --- I'm surprised the kumquat grew any new leaves in spring. The fruit has been there a while. I didn't want it to go through another summer in that old commercial standard potting mix, so as soon as it leafed out we moved it into the new mix.

o

• Posted by jenn 9/19 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 8, 11 at 9:55

Oh well, I'm pretty excited about finally repotting the Kumquat into a new fresh soil mix based on Al's 5-1-1, using ingredients I found locally in my small amount of free time. After I retire and have copious free time on my hands, I can drive around and get all the different ingredients to make the actual mix.

o

Good work, Jenn!
Is the kumquat adjusting well so far?

Josh

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 29, 12 at 22:29

UPDATE! We FINALLY planted the kumquat and the lemon in the ground 2 weeks ago, the day before a big rain. We've had two rain storms since, so they are well-watered and should be settling in. I plan to give them their first feeding of citrus fertilizer tomorrow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here