Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kandhi_gw

Rose in 5-1-1 soilmix -not doing well

kandhi
10 years ago

I bought 'first prize' rose looking at its massive blooms at a nursery. I potted it in 5-1-1 mix, I see lot of new growth but I can see something is not right with the plant as the leaves are coming pale green and becoming yellow and fall off. This is with new growth. I cannot think of what is missing that is causing this issue. What can I do to rectify the problem. pics of the plant attached.
{{gwi:36015}}

{{gwi:36017}}

Comments (9)

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    10 years ago

I'm growing hybrid tea and florabunda roses in 5-1-1 in 15-gallon containers and they are doing very well. They are heavy feeders. Yours looks hungry. I put osmocote plus and dolomitic lime in my mix and add Rosetone every 3-4 weeks. What are you fertilizing them with? How big are the containers and do they drain well? What kind of roses are they (hybrid tea, florabunda, miniature)? Do they get full sun?

• kandhi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ohiofem, The rose is hybrid rose and is in black nusery 15gallon pot with very good drainage. In my soil mix I have dolomite lime and osmocotes controlled release fertilzer added. The plant gets 6-8hrs sunlight. Since I planted 3gal container rose in 15gallon soil, the soil stays moist all the time and I do water it once a week.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    10 years ago

It does sound like you are doing everything right. A few possibilities:
    1. You may be watering too much, which can cause yellowing leaves. I planted a new rosé into the 5-1-1 mix at the beginning of April. We have had so much rain, that I have only watered a few times. I stick my finger a couple inches into the mix and only water if it is dry down there. Your mix shouldn't feel moist all the time. If you have had a lot of rain it could have leached most of the fertilizer out of your mix, which also could cause yellow leaves.
    2. It may be transplant shock. The roots from your 3-gallon pot probably haven't populated the much larger pot yet. How long has it been since you transplanted?
    3. Did your Osmocote include all the minors? The 15-9-12 Plus version I used did. Sadly, it's been discontinued. If your fertilizer didn't have trace elements, especially iron, that also might explain the yellowing leaves.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

How long ago did you purchase and re-pot?
    Are you fertilizing this plant regularly? That's essential to growing in a mostly inert mix.

Josh

• kandhi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Josh, I purchased it a 2 months ago. since I already added controlled release osmocotes in the soil mix I didn't think the soil mix needs any additional fertilizer. If the light green leaves lack of fertilizer issue then I will try to add some fertilizer and check for any difference in the issue.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Leaves yellowing and falling off sure sounds like a nutritional issue...or a watering issue interfering with the uptake of nutrients. If the mix is not staying too wet, then I would explore the nutrition.

I add osmocote to most of my mixes and I also use a soluble liquid fertilizer.

Josh

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

I agree with Josh. I do not depend on a timed release fertilizer as the only nutrient source for a new transplant, using a soluble one also for the first few months. Al

• nil13
    10 years ago

how much CRF did you add? It has been my experience that people are surprised by how much CRF I add to containers and that's only at 1#/cuyd.

• nil13
    10 years ago

that should be 1#N/cuyd.