Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose in 5-1-1 soilmix -not doing well

Posted by kandhi z7VA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 13:05

I bought 'first prize' rose looking at its massive blooms at a nursery. I potted it in 5-1-1 mix, I see lot of new growth but I can see something is not right with the plant as the leaves are coming pale green and becoming yellow and fall off. This is with new growth. I cannot think of what is missing that is causing this issue. What can I do to rectify the problem. pics of the plant attached.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose in 5-1-1 soilmix -not doing well

I'm growing hybrid tea and florabunda roses in 5-1-1 in 15-gallon containers and they are doing very well. They are heavy feeders. Yours looks hungry. I put osmocote plus and dolomitic lime in my mix and add Rosetone every 3-4 weeks. What are you fertilizing them with? How big are the containers and do they drain well? What kind of roses are they (hybrid tea, florabunda, miniature)? Do they get full sun?

o

Ohiofem, The rose is hybrid rose and is in black nusery 15gallon pot with very good drainage. In my soil mix I have dolomite lime and osmocotes controlled release fertilzer added. The plant gets 6-8hrs sunlight. Since I planted 3gal container rose in 15gallon soil, the soil stays moist all the time and I do water it once a week.

o

It does sound like you are doing everything right. A few possibilities:
1. You may be watering too much, which can cause yellowing leaves. I planted a new rosé into the 5-1-1 mix at the beginning of April. We have had so much rain, that I have only watered a few times. I stick my finger a couple inches into the mix and only water if it is dry down there. Your mix shouldn't feel moist all the time. If you have had a lot of rain it could have leached most of the fertilizer out of your mix, which also could cause yellow leaves.
2. It may be transplant shock. The roots from your 3-gallon pot probably haven't populated the much larger pot yet. How long has it been since you transplanted?
3. Did your Osmocote include all the minors? The 15-9-12 Plus version I used did. Sadly, it's been discontinued. If your fertilizer didn't have trace elements, especially iron, that also might explain the yellowing leaves.

o

How long ago did you purchase and re-pot?
Are you fertilizing this plant regularly? That's essential to growing in a mostly inert mix.

Josh

o

Josh, I purchased it a 2 months ago. since I already added controlled release osmocotes in the soil mix I didn't think the soil mix needs any additional fertilizer. If the light green leaves lack of fertilizer issue then I will try to add some fertilizer and check for any difference in the issue.

o

Leaves yellowing and falling off sure sounds like a nutritional issue...or a watering issue interfering with the uptake of nutrients. If the mix is not staying too wet, then I would explore the nutrition.

I add osmocote to most of my mixes and I also use a soluble liquid fertilizer.

Josh

o

I agree with Josh. I do not depend on a timed release fertilizer as the only nutrient source for a new transplant, using a soluble one also for the first few months. Al

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 10:52

how much CRF did you add? It has been my experience that people are surprised by how much CRF I add to containers and that's only at 1#/cuyd.

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 10:53

that should be 1#N/cuyd.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here