Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Office tomato - to transplant or not

Posted by Pegleg48 6a Toronto (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 12 at 13:19

Hi all

So, I start a lot of seedlings in my very sunny office window. They do great! then eventually go home to be transplanted.
This year I had one cherry tomato seedling that sat around a little long, so I decided to stick it in the biggest thing I had sitting around the office, which was an 8", maybe 1 gallon pot. And the thing went nuts! It's been going for at least a month, is 2' tall and now has 2 bunches of tiny tomatoes set (I just blow on the blossoms and give the plant a little shake several times a day). They appear to be growing, though the whole plant has slowed down somewhat. Two more bunches of buds are waiting in the wings.

So: should I transplant into something bigger (either to stay at work or take home to live on my deck) or would that endanger the fruit already set? Also, could it be so root-bound by now that it wouldn't do well after transplanting?

I have plenty of other plants going at home, so could just let the thing go as long as it will then let it die (though last year I had a sad tomato living in my office all winter!) I fed it some kelp meal yesterday and can bring it some fertilizer if need be.

All I know, if this thing does this well in a tiny pot in my office, the ones in big pots are going to take over once they get going!

I keep meaning to start some office lettuce as well. Last year I had peas growing in here!

Any advice welcome. I'll try to provide some photos as well.
Cheers
Peg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Office tomato - to transplant or not

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 6, 12 at 15:41

You should pot up asap. Also, if the root/soil mass comes out intact, you can rip off the bottom inch or two of roots, then work your fingers up into the remaining root mass from the bottom. When you transplant, you can cut off a couple of the bottom branches & plant extra deep so the lowest leaves are just above the soil.

Al

o
RE: Office tomato - to transplant or not

First I need more potting mix...

Will the little tomatoes on there now still ripen after it's been transplanted? or just take longer while the roots settle in again?

Peg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here