Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinarb_gw

is it too late to plant sunflower seeds?

tinarb
18 years ago

I seem to be behind the game in my zone for just about everything besides tomatoes. But I was just looking at OutofSpite's pics and I have just decided I need some height on my deck, and sunflowers would be lovely! I have some seeds and everything - just need a pot. :-)

What do you think? How fast growing are they? Etc.

Comments (18)

• OUTofSPITE
    18 years ago

LOL!

If it makes you feel any better, I just planted some Monday and a couple more today.

• opabinia51
    18 years ago

Nope, go ahead!

• skippy05
    18 years ago

I just planted some the other day- they pop up fast!
    Go for it & enjoy!

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    18 years ago

You know - eventually we're going to have to answer this question with a YES. ;o)

Al

• OUTofSPITE
    18 years ago

Awwww, Al!
    That takes all the fun out of it!

Actually, now that I think about it - the answer would be NO.

The subject is the question - "is it too late to plant sunflower seeds?"

The answer - No

LOL!

• franktank232
    18 years ago

I let my sunflowers soak for a day or so before planting, not sure what this does, but they seem to sprout very fast...i might go plant some today! They grow until OCt ... :) Never too late!

• skippy05
    18 years ago

I planted some seeds last nite!
    What the heck!

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

what if they are giant grey stripe in zone 5?

• franktank232
    18 years ago

I'm still planting stuff here in SW Wi...i figure if it doesn't make it, no harm done :)

• dgkritch
    18 years ago

Seeds are cheap! I will planting some tonight.
    What's the worst that can happen??? Lush foliage, maybe some color, possibly not maturing???

Taken' my chances.

P.S. Tinarb...I am Z8 in Oregon too....near Eugene. Where are you?

• tinarb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dgkritch, I'm very near you - in Eugene.

I decided to just uy a cheap pot of sunflowers. And then since I've started seeds of salvia. If it's not one thing, it's another. :-)

• clickermel
    18 years ago

I'm in zone 6, and just planted one on July 1st. It's already over 1" tall :-). First, I put it in a damp paper towel in a baggie; it sprouted within 36 hours and I stuck it in the ground. It doesn't have it's first true pair of leaves yet but seems to be doing pretty well so far!

Whether I'll get actual flowers or not is yet to be seen, but I figured why not find out? :^)

:-) Mel

• michelegag
    17 years ago

They grow quickly, I say do it, Can I still dry out my seeds if I took them off the pod before it was dry and if so how do I dry them and how soon plant? I am in central Florida

• stevenv
    16 years ago

Hello I live in California near Big Bear mountains, It is now August is it too late for me to plant sunflower seeds? Thank you in advance.. I am in Zone 8 & 9 I beleive..

• Krissy LaFountain Nieves
    6 years ago

Ok.. same question.. only here it is August.. will i get atleast something of a bloom? Against a very sunny fence. I hope your answers are positive. Planting is therapy for me since losing my bro n best friend. We lived in FLORIDA so it was easier there. BUT HERE.. UGH THANKS!

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    6 years ago

Sunflower belongs to a group of plants described as being facultative long day bloomers. What this means is, sunflower will eventually bloom during the 'short day' period of the life cycle, so long as cultural conditions don't prevent it. Day length/photoperiod impacts the blooming of most plants. Actually, it's the length of the night that triggers photoperiod blooming responses, but that's another discussion. Sunflower blooms faster/better when day length is longer than about 14 hours, but as noted, WILL bloom under short day conditions (when the dark period is longer than the light period) - just not as readily as during long day stretches.

You don't say where you live, but if there is danger of their freezing within the next 2.5-3 months, I wouldn't bother planting, as frost will take them before they can reach bloom stage.

So sorry about your brother.

Al

• James (zone5b)
    6 years ago

I plant some sunflower seeds every year, usually in mid-June. I just got my first bloom recently. So that would mean flowering in mid-November at best for anything planted now. It could take even longer given that anything planted now would not have the benefit of growing during peak growing season of June and July.