Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is it too late to plant sunflower seeds?

Posted by tinarb z8 OR (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 1, 05 at 13:21

I seem to be behind the game in my zone for just about everything besides tomatoes. But I was just looking at OutofSpite's pics and I have just decided I need some height on my deck, and sunflowers would be lovely! I have some seeds and everything - just need a pot. :-)

What do you think? How fast growing are they? Etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is it too late to plant sunflower seeds?

Go ahead....they are fast growing.

o

LOL!

If it makes you feel any better, I just planted some Monday and a couple more today.

o

Nope, go ahead!

o

I just planted some the other day- they pop up fast!
Go for it & enjoy!

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 9, 05 at 21:02

You know - eventually we're going to have to answer this question with a YES. ;o)

Al

o

Awwww, Al!
That takes all the fun out of it!

Actually, now that I think about it - the answer would be NO.

The subject is the question - "is it too late to plant sunflower seeds?"

The answer - No

LOL!

o

I let my sunflowers soak for a day or so before planting, not sure what this does, but they seem to sprout very fast...i might go plant some today! They grow until OCt ... :) Never too late!

o

I planted some seeds last nite!
What the heck!

o

what if they are giant grey stripe in zone 5?

o

I'm still planting stuff here in SW Wi...i figure if it doesn't make it, no harm done :)

o

Seeds are cheap! I will planting some tonight.
What's the worst that can happen??? Lush foliage, maybe some color, possibly not maturing???

Taken' my chances.

P.S. Tinarb...I am Z8 in Oregon too....near Eugene. Where are you?

o

Dgkritch, I'm very near you - in Eugene.

I decided to just uy a cheap pot of sunflowers. And then since I've started seeds of salvia. If it's not one thing, it's another. :-)

o

I'm in zone 6, and just planted one on July 1st. It's already over 1" tall :-). First, I put it in a damp paper towel in a baggie; it sprouted within 36 hours and I stuck it in the ground. It doesn't have it's first true pair of leaves yet but seems to be doing pretty well so far!

Whether I'll get actual flowers or not is yet to be seen, but I figured why not find out? :^)

:-) Mel

o

They grow quickly, I say do it, Can I still dry out my seeds if I took them off the pod before it was dry and if so how do I dry them and how soon plant? I am in central Florida

o

Hello I live in California near Big Bear mountains, It is now August is it too late for me to plant sunflower seeds? Thank you in advance.. I am in Zone 8 & 9 I beleive..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here