Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two pepper plants in one container?

Posted by littleblu87 7 - VA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 15, 10 at 13:34

I have two Bonnie green bell pepper plants that need planting asap. Would it be ok to plant both of them in a 10 gallon plastic container with these dimensions: 20 5/8" L x 14 1/8" W x 12 3/8" H ?

This is the container I want to plant them in - Sterilite 10 gallon tote

I would of course put holes in the bottom for drainage. But can (or should) two pepper plants be planted in that container without being overcrowded?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two pepper plants in one container?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 15, 10 at 14:13

I think you'd be more than fine with 2, or even 3.

Al

o

Yes, I have peppers planted in the same container and two is no problem-one of my containers has three and they are growing just fine.

o

I went ahead and planted both plants in the same 10 gallon container. However, there seems to be something wrong with these two (green bell) pepper plants. I think that they were either root bound when they were planted or the container I planted them in is too small. They haven't grown much and the bottom leaves have a slightly yellow tint to them. My red bell pepper plant is in a container by itself and is doing very well. I did get the two pepper plants in a little late but when I planted them, they were only slightly smaller than the red bell pepper plant. They have barely grown and don't appear to be doing anything while the red bell pepper plant has gotten bigger and it has the little flowers on it. I vaguely remember that the roots were different on these two pepper plants, like they were becoming root bound, but I don't think they were. I tried looking up pictures of root bound plants, but they look the same as regular plants to me. What can I say, I'm a gardening idiot.

Any suggestions as to what I should do with these plants?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here