Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beans and Peas Spacing

Posted by partee875 MA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 9, 11 at 14:07

I think I may have been too ambitious in planting my beans and Peas in containers. Some are looking weak and the pole beans I planted are starting to go crispy at the end (and I am not underwatering).

My question is would it be harmful or even beneficial to cut the weaker ones off at the base to give the stronger ones a chance? It's been a little over a month since they've been planted and they are already well established and going all over my railings. Or should I just hope and pray for the best?

The size container is about 6 inches deep and 18x6. I have about 16 pole beans in there. In hindsight it probably wasn't the smartest but I'm new to growing and I'm still dumbfounded how big these plants can get!

Thanks in advance! This has been a great forum for me while attempting my roof deck garden!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beans and Peas Spacing

If I were you, I'd remove half of them. I grew 6 scarlet runner beans in a pot that was about 12 inches deep and 18 inches across last season. I was watering every two or three days at the height of the season. When I emptied the pot at the end of the season, it was full of roots. I grew these old fashioned pole beans more for their flowers than their beans because they attract hummingbirds. I think I would have gotten more of both if I'd had fewer plants in the pot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here