Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato plant tops turning 90 degrees!!

Posted by edweather 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 15, 11 at 14:15

This is my first year growing in containers. I have 8 tomato plants growing in 511, in containers of various sizes....5 gallon to 20 gallon. They are growing well except today I noticed that the tops of the plants....at least half of them, have a curious defect. The tops have taken a 90 degree bend to the south. They are not just leaning over, it's definitely a growth issue. They are different tomato varieties, so it must be something about the container growing medium, conditions, etc. that is making them do this. I could post a photo if necessary. Has anybody else had their tomato tops turn like this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato plant tops turning 90 degrees!!

Are the tomatoes staked or caged? They are vines that will go every which way if you don't train them. Photos would help a lot.

o

They will be caged, but haven't grown big enough to put the cages on yet. I've got thin bamboo stakes at the moment. I've grown tomatoes for years and have never seen anything like this. I'll try to post a photo tomorrow.

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 16, 11 at 12:28

Have you asked the folks in the Growing Tomatoes forum?

o

Do you mean south ? or downward ?

o

In case you don't know how to post a photo, there's a Garden Web FAQ on that.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to post a photo

o

Thanks everyone. I have just been too busy to get the photo posted. I took the picture, but just can't get the 10 minutes to get to the computer. I'm typing this from work. Hopefully I will soon. The tops are not turned down, just 90 degrees, and all in the same general Southerly direction. Since they are in containers, I figured I'd start at this forum. To be continued.........I hope.

o
RE: Tomato plant tops turning 90 degreees!!

OK.......so I finally got a minute to post the photo. The top is not just leaning over....it's stiff as a board and is growing this way, along with several others. If all the plants were the same kind of tomato I might think the seeds were defective, but it's happening to different ones, which makes me think that it's something I did.

Photobucket">

o

Did they get top heavy and run out of steaks to tie them to?

I've never had a tomato do this, and I've grown many! 10 yrs worth in containers, about 5 plants or more a year.

Where are they in the yard? Stretching for sun?

It is odd, but I can't imagine how it would be container related.

I'm curious to see what others have to say.

A friend of mine is using the topsy turvy and they are turning up, I figured reaching for the sun.

JoJo

o

any weed killer in the area?

o

No weed killer. They get full sun, and are around our pool. The only thing I can think of is overwatering, or over fertilizing. A few are doing this but not as severely, and most are fine. They are not top heavy and running out of stake. If that were the case I would just tie them up and straighten them. There's no straightening this one, it's locked in place. Even though the tops are weird, the plants are healthy with thick stems, and branching out like crazy. I've also got potatoes, peas, muskmelons, watermelons, peppers, and beans growing in the 511, and they are doing really well. The bell peppers lagged a little, but are catching up. I'll be picking peas for the next few days.

o

Rotate the container 1/2 turn ,and see if they are just following the sun

o

"which makes me think that it's something I did"
"or over fertilizing"

over fertilizing might be the answer to the proplem.

o

Thanks all for the replies. I will try rotating the container. Happy growing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here