Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toniokroger

Jasmine on my fire escape

TonioKroger
9 years ago

Hello All-

First off, thanks for all the help so far- this site has been great for me and my plants.

I have two Jasmine Sambac plants in containers on my Manhattan windowsill/fire escape. They get lots of Eastern light up until noon or 1pm...then they get partial shade. They seem to be doing well (they have lots of buds but not so many blooms- as I see is a common issue with them).

My question is this: I keep reading that they should only be getting watered twice weekly or so...the common phrase is, ""well drained soil, moist but not soggy". But, it seems to me that they droop at the end of every day (their leaves get that listless, hang dog look to them) if I don't water them. Could I be overwatering them? Is that why they bloom as much as bud? Should I ignore my instinct to give them a water and see what happens?

The soil I have them in is VERY well draining- it pours out the bottom the minutes I start to give them a drink. The only thing I was thinking is perhaps I need mulch atop the soil to keep the moisture protected.

Any thoughts on watering Jasmine Sambac and your own experience on them would be appreciated---

Eric

Comments (4)