Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jasmine on my fire escape

Posted by TonioKroger none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 14:51

Hello All-

First off, thanks for all the help so far- this site has been great for me and my plants.

I have two Jasmine Sambac plants in containers on my Manhattan windowsill/fire escape. They get lots of Eastern light up until noon or 1pm...then they get partial shade. They seem to be doing well (they have lots of buds but not so many blooms- as I see is a common issue with them).

My question is this: I keep reading that they should only be getting watered twice weekly or so...the common phrase is, ""well drained soil, moist but not soggy". But, it seems to me that they droop at the end of every day (their leaves get that listless, hang dog look to them) if I don't water them. Could I be overwatering them? Is that why they bloom as much as bud? Should I ignore my instinct to give them a water and see what happens?

The soil I have them in is VERY well draining- it pours out the bottom the minutes I start to give them a drink. The only thing I was thinking is perhaps I need mulch atop the soil to keep the moisture protected.

Any thoughts on watering Jasmine Sambac and your own experience on them would be appreciated---

Eric

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jasmine on my fire escape

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 10:54

We need to see the soil. Simply coming out of the bottom quickly doesn't necessarily mean good drainage. Many water retentive media will pull away from the sides of the pot causing water to pour out the bottom which then results in overly dry conditions.

o

Sometimes wilting can be both from over and under watering. So you have to figure out which it is. Also plants will wilt in strong sun or heat, and they will recover from this. It has nothing to do with how much or little they are watered. I don't suspect this in your case though.
I think the well drained soil means use a potting mix, not garden soil. Which is good advice. I have cestrum plants, which are often called Jasmines, but they are different. i have one Jasmine. The cestrums are easier to grow. My Jasmine got a bad case of spider mite last winter, still recovering. Seems to possibly picked up a virus from the mites, as it has never really recovered yet from the attack.
My cestrums were right next to it, but the mites left them alone.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 8:30

o

Thanks to you both. I think the answer is a combination of things- I think the potting mix they plants came in was extra well-draining AND I think the sun was making them droop.

For the moment, I have them stabilized. I put worm castings atop the soil and that seems to help retain some water. Additionally, I am not so quick to water them when they wilt- but instead wait until evening to see if they perk up.

Thanks again...

o

Sounds excellent, the plant will love the worm castings. I love using that product!
Mine is growing again, but it was in limbo for months. I didn't see the mites, and they really sucked the life out of the plant. I will spray before I bring it in this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here